Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Plans for turkey season?

Started by reflexl, February 04, 2013, 08:00:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

reflexl

My strategy is pretty simple. I am setting on a pile of mature birds. Oppening day I am going after a gobbler with white wings. He is a two year old and thus wouldn't do much for team score. Second day out I am going after a big bird. Around these parts spurs rarely go over 1.5" but beards on mature birds are usualy at least 10" and some really long beards. Body weigh on 3 year old will usualy be 22lbs+. The last few years I have taken several over 23lbs. I am thing about taking 2 days off after opening weekend to catch one huge bird. My guess is he will go around 26-27lbs with a 12" beard and best I can tell 1.5' spurs. Going to be a fun year! reflexl

makova

Sounds great Reflexl, i do see the 10 beards and 1.25, to 1.5 spurs, but 21lbs is a big bird here, the last couple of years i take the entire 1st week off and usally get to or three birds. i do have a white bird in one of the flocks i hunt but it is a hen, i hope you get your love to see pictures.
mike

reflexl

Boys I am getting excited. Headed for the NWTF convention in Nashville Saturday. I have been going over my kills from the last 3 years. Each year I busted one over 70 points. I hope to do so again this year and I know where that really big scrapper is hanging out. If my guess is correct he will score around 80 which should help the team. Mimosa Gobbler should nail a big one as well. He is working some weird hours but when the birds start making racket he should bust a big one. reflexl

northms

I do a lot of field and pasture hunting here in my neck of the woods. Birds haven't been wintering here as usual, but they'll be back. Always are...

xarcher

Trying to get to a buddy's farm in central Alabama towards the end of March for starters.  I am working near the NC/SC border 3 days a week so I will be able to get some mornings and evenings in both states.  Then when May rolls around, I will hunt home state of PA.  I like smoked turkey. 

Good luck to all.  Be safe.  Hunt hard. 

Guns don't kill people.  Guns kill food.

xarcher

Quote from: xarcher on February 12, 2013, 10:08:58 PM
Trying to get to a buddy's farm in central Alabama towards the end of March for starters.  I am working near the NC/SC border 3 days a week so I will be able to get some mornings and evenings in both states.  Then when May rolls around, I will hunt home state of PA.  I like smoked turkey. 

Oh and sorry, my wife, aka Shootfastorshootlast might sneak away for one of the southern states, but most likely will only hunt PA. 

reflexl

Very cool that your wife is hunting with you. I told my wife about yours hunting last night. Didn't work. She aint going to hunt. She sure will eat deer, turkey and wild hogs though. reflexl

xarcher

Quote from: reflexl on February 13, 2013, 09:02:18 AM
Very cool that your wife is hunting with you. I told my wife about yours hunting last night. Didn't work. She aint going to hunt. She sure will eat deer, turkey and wild hogs though. reflexl
Don't give up my friend.  I never saw this one coming.  We have been married almost 30 years and up until 3 years ago, she considered anyone who got up at 4 and sat in the cold woods in the dark needed to get a life.  Also, I would have to drape a tarp around deer carcasses hanging in the cooler (garage) because she couldn't stand it when she pulled her car in.  Now she is mostly a bird (duck, goose, pheasant) hunter because of her retrievers, but she shot her first gobbler at the age of 51 last year.  He gobbled and put on a real nice show.  She's hooked.  It's never too late. 

xarcher

Quote from: xarcher on February 13, 2013, 09:04:23 PM
Quote from: reflexl on February 13, 2013, 09:02:18 AM
Don't give up my friend.  I never saw this one coming.  We have been married almost 30 years and up until 3 years ago, she considered anyone who got up at 4 and sat in the cold woods in the dark needed to get a life.  Also, I would have to drape a tarp around deer carcasses hanging in the cooler (garage) because she couldn't stand it when she pulled her car in.  Now she is mostly a bird (duck, goose, pheasant) hunter because of her retrievers, but she shot her first gobbler at the age of 51 last year.  He gobbled and put on a real nice show.  She's hooked.  It's never too late.
You might want to take her scouting.  Just sit in the woods in the AM and listen to the morning wake up. 

reflexl

She likes listening to them. You can walk out our front door in the morning and hear them all around the house. reflexl

FttFttVroom!

Going to hunt the usual productive places this year. I may try out a new spot if the landowner and I can ever make time to tour his place.  I may take off a day to scout with him because its around 800 acres of prime river bottom.

reflexl

Been reading up on the record book. If I can kill the Gobblin with one of my Blackpowder shotguns he will be #1 in TN by black powder! There isn't another black powder bird close in TN. reflexl

Ontgunner

Not sure what the plans are for me this year. Still deciding if I have time for my Oklahoma and Kansas trip this year but if not will be working hard at getting a couple Ontario gobblers for the team. Last year was a good year for me with two nice birds and Im going to have a hard time beating those. Ill do my best.
"Early bird get's the worm but the second mouse get's the cheese"

xarcher

Alabama dates are set.  March 15-17.  Hope I can break the ice for you all.
Still have SC/NC and PA if not.   

xarcher

Quote from: xarcher on February 24, 2013, 09:35:41 AM

Alabama dates are set.  March 15-17.  Hope I can break the ice for you all.
Still have SC/NC and PA if not.
Started packing tonight because I am leaving Monday for western NC on a business trip.  Then next Thursday night driving to AL for Friday opener.  I think that's called a workation?  Time to get this thing started.  Would love to break the ice.