turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Cutting down a bps barrel

Started by CntrlPA, January 31, 2013, 07:08:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CntrlPA

I have an extra 30" barrel for my bps 10 and am tosssing around the idea of  either having it cut down or sell it. Have any of you guys ever had a bps barrel cut down? I know there are issues with barrel thickness with certain barrels. Whats the shortest you guys would cut it? I'm a big fan of shorter barrels. Hopefully Sumtoy will chime in. Thanks.

Old Gobbler

I wouldn't go shorter than 23-24 inches

You might get a good deal on a short(er) barrel on ebay 

:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

Longbeard77

I would have to agree, Factory Browning 10 guages are 24 inches.

Mike Honcho

You didn't mention if camo or blue...I bought a like  new 24 " factory camo on Gunbroker for mine last season and paid about $  265.   I finally sold my 28" (new) factory camo for $ 200 a few months later.

I wouldn't own the gun with anything other than a 24" , seems to be a great length on this shotgun.

steveo

When I purchased my BPS new the second year they were out I shipped it to Ballistic Specialties had them cut to 24" and thread for the tubes...........since then have never been happier with this gun !. I use it for geese/duck and gobblers and no issues, not much of a swinger for wing shooting but since most of my shots are over decoys and close it works great with the right chokes. I cant recall what they charged me for the service but if you call they can provide......1-800-276-2550 

Red Clay

I just took a 30" bps barrel to a respected gunsmith and he said the barrel walls are too thin for me to cut it down to about 24". He said he could do it, but it would have to have a custom thread.
I am seeing on here that it some gunsmiths do it.  If it can be done, is the barrel threaded for standard browning invector like all browning 10 gauges?

Yoder409

I had my 30" BPS 10 cut down years ago.

Obviously the cut must be done right in front of a rib post unless you want to get into more money than the gun's worth.

IIRC, mine came out 23 1/2-ish.  The barrel did have to be re-threaded with Tru-Choke threads due to thickness considerations.  American Arms has a whole host (or at least did) of tubes for 10 ga. in Tru-Choke.  They were fine for steel at waterfowl but stunk for lead at turkeys.  One call to Chuck Boswell at Comp-N-Choke got me a XXX-Full Comp-N-Choke tube and it makes the BPS 10 a MONSTER !!!

I've never regretted doing it nor been disappointed with it's performance.

PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Red Clay

Thanks for the help and insight
I ended up buying a second bps with a shorter barrel. I am going to swap the barrels and put the 30" bps back up for sale. The way I figure it, even if I lose a little money on the resale, I will come it cheaper than the cost of cutting the barrel.