turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

will they work

Started by mckinzie, January 29, 2013, 05:29:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mckinzie

would you hunt turkey with this shell....20ga 3inch super pheasant load 6 shot,,,,winchester

BigHooks

If that was all I could afford yes, I was taut a long time ago about hunting there's two things you haft to do. The best setup an load you can get you owe that to the animal an your self, There's been a many bird killed with lead shot. If there's something better that's what I'm going to use, because I need all the help I can get..

mckinzie

i use winchester supreme 5 shot with a mossburg super bantam and a sumtoy choke just thought maybe the 6 shot super phesant might pattern better

BrowningGuy88

I would go to Winchester Supreme 6's if you want 6's. They shoot well out of my SumToy.

I believe the Pheasany loads use a different wad and buffer.

mckinzie

i cant find supreme 6 shot......only 5 shot in 20 ga

BigEz

Yeah, I think Winchester only makes #4 and #5 in the 20ga supremes. 

R AJ

Yes they will do at the given distance your pattern holds. Win does make a few #6- 3-1 1/4 - loads but not in their turkey shell and are pretty fair. Federal has a #6 FC shell that does quite well for lead.
There is also the Fiocchi 3" 20 gauge 3"-1 1/4-#7 1/2 Golden Pheasant load but I don't like it for very long shots.
The reason for Win not making the #6 lead for Turkey load is a fairly long story stemming from some field "research" on Florida hunts using their HD load several years back.

At Rogers Sporting Goods they have the older pre-flite control wad shells in 20 gauge in 3" 4,5,or 6 shot for $5.99 per box of 10. Also lead Fed 3.5" 2 oz. #6s for $8.99 per box.

Good luck to you.

mckinzie

surehuntsalot

you would need to pattern the shells to see what kind of patterns they have before using them,but yeah I would use them if they shot ok
a turkey is not bullet proof
it's not the harvest,it's the chase