turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Rib mounted open sights question.

Started by Trax, January 27, 2013, 03:50:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trax

When I got my new 835 Grand Slam Series Turkey last season and got it out to the range before the season, I found the point of impact to be a bit high, approximately 8 inches at 25 yards.

The gun came with some non-adjustable fiber optic sights that simply snap on to the vent rib. I made do with that for the season but want to fix the issue with a fully adjustable sight, as I did miss a longbeard last season and attribute that to this issue. 

My question is, does anyone have any experience or recommendations with regard to fully-adjustable, vent-rib mounted open sights? I am considering the Tru Glo Pro Series Magnum Gobble Dot sights. They look very durable and are said to be fully adjustable.

http://www.cabelas.com/sights-truglo-pro-series-magnum-gobble-dot-8482-1.shtml

I am hesitant to mount a red dot or scope for fear of knocking it out true while in the field and missing another bird. Any advice is surely appreciated. 

whiskey

I use a Burris FastFire, but I have fiber sights sighted in for back up. I just carry the Allen wrench in my vest to remove the red dot.

Anyway, I like the tru glo true bead adjustable sights. Some of the sight sets come with different height front sights. You need a taller one.

outdoors

Trax I got the same rib sites for my mossberg 930 and it fit like a glove .. Sighting it in easy . It's clamp on real tight BUT I haven't had it in the feild yet , If this is what you want  I'd say go for it .
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

Trax

Thanks gentlemen for your thoughts.
I'll probably order them. They're not too much money and I think they'll work. Glad to hear they clamp on tight. They look pretty heavy duty.

WildSpur

Your factory sights should be adjustable.  The rear sight has a crude left/right slot.  You should also be able to screw the rear sight up/down accordingly.  Not as nice as some others out there though.

I have no experience with the truglo sights but liked the quality of Williams when I had it.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

Cluck more, yelp less

Trax

Quote from: WildSpur on January 27, 2013, 11:37:20 PM
Your factory sights should be adjustable.  The rear sight has a crude left/right slot.  You should also be able to screw the rear sight up/down accordingly.  Not as nice as some others out there though.

I have no experience with the truglo sights but liked the quality of Williams when I had it.

You're absolutely right, I said it wasn't adjustable but it is, although not enough. Even at its lowest setting the point of impact is still way too high.

WildSpur

Gotcha. 

Cluck more, yelp less