OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Can't find Fed heavy #7. What next?

Started by deer-turkeyhunter, January 26, 2013, 03:49:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deer-turkeyhunter

Hello,

I am not having any luck finding the Fed heavy #7's. I would like to know what other loads are being used?  I am not interested in TSS.  I have a 20 gauge youth 870 and was wondering what other loads and choke tube combos everybody else have tried?   Also what are some of the results.

Thanks

Deerturkeyhunter

mightyjoeyoung

That's why I picked up 8 boxes last year...knew they were gonna be hard to find this spring considering the fast growing popularity of the 20's. 

Another good shell would be hevi shot 7's or 6's.  I killed my first bird of the season 2 years ago with the 6's at 38 yards and he hit the ground so hard, you'd think he bounced.
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

savduck

I bet you could get a great Heavy weight 6 pattern. Dont over look them.

Hevi 7s are nice to. My 870 with SSX will put up 155 patterns with the hevi 7s
Georgia Boy

paintbrush

I gave 2 longbeards dirt naps last spring using 3" Hevi #7's. One at 35 yards and the other at 32 yards. Drop both of them right in their tracks. You'll just have to see how well your gun/choke combo patterns them.

hookedspur

CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

lmbhngr

GSLAM95

Apologizing:  does not always mean you are wrong and the other person is right. 
It just means that you value your relationship more than your ego.

BrowningGuy88

I prefer the 6's in my gun. Fed heavyweight and hevi 13 both shoot excellent. I am running a sumtoychoke.

old frank

I still have some 7's but not enough. I couldn't find any either but Sportsmans's Guide had the 6's and I had a $20 coupon so I bought four boxes.

I have targets ready with 10" circles and I hope to test them at the range this week.

I like to get my turkeys close anyway and with a Red Dot optic, I think the 6's will work fine. I will report after the range trip.

savduck

Quote from: old frank on January 28, 2013, 01:51:45 PM
I still have some 7's but not enough. I couldn't find any either but Sportsmans's Guide had the 6's and I had a $20 coupon so I bought four boxes.

I have targets ready with 10" circles and I hope to test them at the range this week.

I like to get my turkeys close anyway and with a Red Dot optic, I think the 6's will work fine. I will report after the range trip.

I think the 6s would be awesome. I have hit in the 180s several times with the 7s, but most of my  patterns stay in the 130 to 150 range. I bet that you could get some 90 to 120 type patterns with the 6s with the right choke. A 90 in ten type pattern is still a devistating pattern with the hitting power of those pellets.

With my #7s, the most interesting thing I found is that no matter what the total count was in 10 ring, be it a 165 pattern or 120 pattern, the actual pellets in head and neck only varied by 4 or five hits. For example, say a 157 count pattern put 16 in spine and brain and another 17 in the rest of the head, a 115 pattern would still put up 13 spine and brain and say 21 head and neck hits.
Georgia Boy

mightyjoeyoung

Woowee!  A 120ish pattern with the 6's?!  That'd be some serious LIGHTS OUT stuff on turkeys boy!   :OGturkeyhead:
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

R AJ

Quote from: mightyjoeyoung on January 29, 2013, 12:48:08 AM
Woowee!  A 120ish pattern with the 6's?!  That'd be some serious LIGHTS OUT stuff on turkeys boy!   :OGturkeyhead:

That is what we used to expect from earlier Big Gobbler H-13 loads before they re-invented the wheel.
A Rem with a Pure Gold 555 -560 was a winner with that load.

K9Doc

Old Gobbler used to have a reloading page. Too bad it's gone. I too had shell problems. I started loading my own. Sorry to tell u boys, but until u load ur own, u will struggle with Lot #s and such every time u need new ammo. Load ur own and u will be glad u did!
TSS 18 gr/cc #9s. All u ever need.
Be the type of person your dog thinks you are.

BrowningGuy88

Quote from: mightyjoeyoung on January 29, 2013, 12:48:08 AM

Turning that with both Fed 6's and H13 6's out of my 21" barrel. I think it will be devistating!

turkeytromp

Our local gunshop has several boxes of fhw 20ga. #6 & some 20ga.#7 for 28.95/box kinda high but they are selling it rather quick. If anyone is needing any I could always pick some up and ship.