turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

NEED ADVICE ON REPLACING RIFLE SIGHTS ON REMINGTON 11-87

Started by SKFOOTER, January 22, 2013, 11:38:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SKFOOTER

I have an Old School Remington 11-87 w/21" barrel and original rifle sights.  I'm wanting to replace these sights with William Fire Sights which I received in the mail today.  The rear sight seems easy enough to replace but the front dovetail sight appears to be a little more difficult.  Is it as simple as tapping the old front sight out and tapping the new one in???

SKFOOTER

Surely someone has replaced their factory dovetail front sight with a dovetail Williams Fire Sight???

wvnut3

Yes i have , its slightly tapered. dont hold me to it, because its been a while . But i think you knock it out from right to left. Might want to gets someone else to chime in. Lee

wvnut3

Those are nice sights i had the rear ghost ring on mine with fiber optic dot on either side. But now i need my Burris because i cant focus on it.Lee

SKFOOTER

allaboutshooting

Quote from: SKFOOTER on January 22, 2013, 11:38:54 PM
I have an Old School Remington 11-87 w/21" barrel and original rifle sights.  I'm wanting to replace these sights with William Fire Sights which I received in the mail today.  The rear sight seems easy enough to replace but the front dovetail sight appears to be a little more difficult.  Is it as simple as tapping the old front sight out and tapping the new one in???

Keith,

That front sight may not go in very easily. Sometimes you need to lightly file the dovetail to get a new front sight to fit. If you've never done one, it can be "challenging". A gunsmith who has done several can be of great help.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

SKFOOTER

Thanks Clark.  How would you suggest I remove the existing dovetail front sight??

Flyrodder

With the muzzle pointing to your left and the left side of the barrel facing up, drive the front sight out with a nylon or brass drift. Left to right, out. Right to left, in.