turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

20 Gauge killing power ???

Started by Shotgun Dave, January 20, 2013, 07:44:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shotgun Dave

Hey all of you 20 Gaugers out there . What do you think of the killing power of these 20's ? Working on 11-87 getting her ready for Spring . Looking for the right Choke / Shell combo . Feel like my gun will be fine with the right combo . Been killing with a 12 for years thought I might try the 20 this season !!!   :OGturkeyhead:
All things work together for good !!!

savduck

a #6 going 1100 fps is still a #6 going 1100fps.

40 yards

30 yards

Real life...worked just fine for me last season

Georgia Boy

FullChoke

Let me ask you, how dead is dead enough for you? The 20 will do the same job out to 40 yards just like a 12 gauge, and is lighter, kicks less, costs less and uses less expensive ammunition.

Read the patterning reports and find several where people have used the 11-87 and that will give you a good starting point.

Welcome to the brotherhood. You will not be disappointed.

FullChoke

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

TrackeySauresRex

Them 20's are way to week to kill turkey's. Send that 1187 to me,and I'll even pick up the shipping. I'll set it up for phesants and doves.  ;D

:goofball: I couldn't help it. Your gonna do great with it. Check out the search engine. You'll find a good combo. Theres alot of great talk on the rem. super full.
:anim_25:
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

Shotgun Dave

That's a good Question How dead is dead enough . I'd say dead enough to take it back to the truck would be just fine . Have'nt  had much experience turkey hunting with a 20 though . Had alot of kills with my 11-87 12 gauge . Just looking for input on these 20's  Thanks for all of your imput guys .     David

TrackeySauresRex

Heres an old lead pattern @ 30 with a B.P.S 20ga

This young fella always did well with his 20. He has a good teacher, I guess  ;D

He shoots hevi 7's now, with great results.
:anim_25: With your new 20

"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

lmbhngr

I shot one last year. 46 yards, 1 5/8" spur 11" beard 22pounds. That`s dead enough for me!

Shotgun Dave

Keep em coming Fellas .  how bout some cobo's ( Chokes and Loads )  :funnyturkey:

gophert

After this hits them...they just don't flop much.

sent from my Tweaked Out Evo LTE

savduck

Quote from: Shotgun Dave on January 20, 2013, 09:18:24 PM
Keep em coming Fellas .  how bout some cobo's ( Chokes and Loads )  :funnyturkey:

Many guys like that gun with Federal 7s, Hevi 7s, or TSS handloads. Remington Super full, Sumtoy 562-5 and 562-3, Truglo SSX, and Indian creek non ported 555, and pure gold 570 tempest seem to be the favored chokes.....with a few undertakers thrown in there.

Check the board with gun patterns. Spend some time scrolling through and you may find a starting point for your gun.
Georgia Boy

Shotgun Dave

Great pattern Gophert and Thanks Savduck thats the kind of info to get started with . Thanks  David

DUPREE

I've seen the damage done with a 20.....

Seen plenty more get crushed, just haven't been quite so obvious.

dirt road ninja

I've got an 11-87 with a 21 inch barrel. Truglo SSX and Hevi 7's give me 150's

surehuntsalot

took all 3 of my birds last season with  3" lead Federal #6's and my 870 20ga
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

goblr77