OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

White Hevi?

Started by Okiehntr12, January 16, 2013, 01:43:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Okiehntr12

I just received two boxes of three inch white hevi in the mail today. Opening the box I noticed what looked like sand or salt around the shells and in the box. I picked up a shell and some started coming out of the hull. It's the filler and the shot. Is this normal and are they still safe to shoot. Out of 20 shells there is probably 3 or 4 that don't leak when turned up right. I looked closer at the end of the hull and the plastic wad o guess you could call it has a small pen sized gap along the wall. Everyone of them has this.

Okiehntr12

I reread my post I stated the filler and shot comes out. This is wrong. It's just the clear filler. The shells that have lost more then others the shot is somewhat loose.

Deputy 14

Should be fine. Just don't let anymore leak out. Take some Elmer's glue and seal them.

allaboutshooting

Quote from: Okiehntr12 on January 16, 2013, 01:43:01 PM
I just received two boxes of three inch white hevi in the mail today. Opening the box I noticed what looked like sand or salt around the shells and in the box. I picked up a shell and some started coming out of the hull. It's the filler and the shot. Is this normal and are they still safe to shoot. Out of 20 shells there is probably 3 or 4 that don't leak when turned up right. I looked closer at the end of the hull and the plastic wad o guess you could call it has a small pen sized gap along the wall. Everyone of them has this.

Those shells have a rolled crimp and plastic over-wad. At this point they are almost 9 years old, since they were loaded late in 2004. They may have been handled a lot and exposed to variations in temperature and humidity. They are very subject to leaking buffering material and shot if the over-wad gets cracked or loose.

There's really nothing you can do to stop that once it's started. You can keep them upright and that will help. They would not be unsafe to shoot as they are but they probably won't pattern as well as a shell without damage. Unfortunately, anything that might stop the leaks could also increase pressure in the shell.

By the way, that buffering material is some crazy stuff. If it gets on your floors it's like ice and makes everything very slippery. Be careful.

Thanks,
Clark

"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

Okiehntr12

In the plastic over wad there is a pin sized hole along the edge. From what I can see this is the only place the filler is leaking  could I place a small dab of super glue in that hole. The ones that don't leak the rolled crimp covers this hole the ones that do the rolled crimp has pulled away. Thanks for the responses and all the help.

allaboutshooting

Quote from: Okiehntr12 on January 16, 2013, 03:31:33 PM
In the plastic over wad there is a pin sized hole along the edge. From what I can see this is the only place the filler is leaking  could I place a small dab of super glue in that hole. The ones that don't leak the rolled crimp covers this hole the ones that do the rolled crimp has pulled away. Thanks for the responses and all the help.

Super glue might work or nail polish might work. I would not do more than that however. That buffer can find a way to get out of just about any opening.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."