turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Mueller vs red dot ??

Started by Hooksnhorns, January 15, 2013, 01:42:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hooksnhorns

Which do y'all recommend? I'm shooting adj. f/o sights, but my eyes aren't the best and I'm havin a lil trouble. I have about a $150 budget, but I'd like to have something that's durable. I'm shooting an 870 sm w/ 23" tube and sureshot stock, and I'm concerned about the optic standing up to some pretty stout recoil. The gun is tapped w/a rail on it. So I wouldn't have to spend any of the budget on that. I had a pro diamond scope on it, but it wouldn't hold zero. Thnx for any experienced info y'all.
Don't Tread On Me

old frank

I think either a Mueller or a "quality" Red Dot sight will work.

I went with the Mueller. I liked the lower profile and less obtrusive look to it. I have mine mounted on a Remington 870 20ga but I have not heard of anyone having any problem with the Mueller on any guage.

I would have considered the Burris Speed Bead if it had a mount for the 20ga, even though it is a good bit over budget.

I have had no problems with my optic, using it all last year in all conditions. I related the story of my turkey kill last year that I would not have taken without the Mueller. Turkey snuck in behind me and a down tree blocked the bird from my line of sight. I flopped on my back, rolled up on one shoulder and put the red on his head and down he went.
The only minor thing with my Mueller is I find the auto setting too bright and prefer to manually adjust. No big deal to me.

I bought mine at Sportsman's Guide where member price was $89 and I had a $20 coupon so it was a pretty inexpensive solution.
Good Luck with your decision.

Crappiepro

I have the Mueller Quick-Shot on my Mossberg 835. I have nothing but good to say about this site. Its been a very good site. I did break mine, I had the gun leaning on the table and the gun fell over and landed right on the site. I called Mueller to tried to get the glass fixed. I was willing to pay to get it fixed but it was broken to bad. I explained to them that I bought it used and they still offered me a replacement site for $65. The whole experience the Mueller company and the site itself has been GREAT!! The new site has worked and held up to the 3.5" turkey loads I shoot, and I shoot this gun alot. So for the money and the company backing it up, I'd say give the Quick-Shot alook. It's been a good one for me!  :icon_thumright: