Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

What choke for Remington 870 21" barrel with lead 5s

Started by 340_Dart, January 05, 2013, 04:18:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

340_Dart

Hey guys, I've been playing with patterns for my 870 express with a 21" barrel. It's got a truglo Gobble stopper xtreme choke in it, but I I also have the rem. super full turkey choke that I haven't tried in it. Having trouble getting a good even pattern at 40 yrds with it. So far I've tried Winchester super x 3- 1 7/8-5 and Winchester XX 3-2-5s. I 've deep cleaned the barrel but only getting in the 70s in 10" @ 40. I've seen a lot of good about the truglo SSX choke, is it worth a try? Thanks - Andy

R AJ

You may still have trouble getting the pattern you like in #5s in lead at 40 yards. At 30-35 yards the pattern may look pretty good. I would also try federal FC in #5 lead but strongly suggest that you go down to #6s and certainly try your Rem SF choke. The SSX may be an option as the shorter barrel generally accepts tighter chokes than say a 26" bbl.
There are numerous tighter chokes available and it may take many trips to find a suitable #5 shot combo whereas the #6s will fix you up rather quickly.

SumToy

The red 3-2-5 shoots good out of 650 to 660.  Now that said I have seen a SBE that liked a 670 best.  It is hard to say but I would start with a small one. 
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

Kylongspur88

I shoot my Rem Trky choke and it patterns better than some of the higher priced chokes I've shot. I shoot 3.5 #4's in mine...

3" 870 Shell Shucker

For a store-bought choke, you'll have a hard time beating an Indian Creek .665 in your 870.

Onpoint

My ole lady has the same gun as you and it shoots very well with a jelly head .665. Its not the tightest pattern in the world but it's a very good even hunting pattern. It's 10 for 10. Longest shot being about 45 yards. Very good choke for the money.

WildSpur

If you did not buy alot of those shells already maybe try the High Velocity 1 3/4 oz load from Winchester.  Sometimes a little less can be more.  If you can get in the 80-90's with eveness I would be happy.  Getting 100+ with lead 5's could be tricky.  Do-able but tricky.

Cluck more, yelp less

3" 870 Shell Shucker

My numbers with 3" Win Sup HV 1.75 Ounce Lead #5 at 40 Yards:
28" 870 with Indian Creek .665 Choke = Low of 90, High of 116 (Several patterns shot)
28" INV+ BPS with Indian Creek .665 Choke = 131 (Only pattern shot with this combo)

120+ with Lead #5's isn't super easy to get, but those sure are some big ol' holes. :drool:

I bet SumToy would work with you to help you get a smoking #5 combo together.

M R Ducks

Try the Remington ventilator.  Have it on my kid's 11-87 and it patterns great with 5's.  Now, he's 12 and so he shoots 1 1/4 ounce pheasant loads out of it, but that combo kills birds dead @ 40 yards.  Uses a red dot for sights.  Three shots, three smoked toms, longest at over 40 yards. The bird was coming in and I told him wait until I say shoot but all he heard was shoot...... Dropped in its tracks.

Never tried it with a real turkey load.  Believe constriction is 655.

Ducks

Thegobblergetter

The choke that works best in my grandson's 870 21" barrel with Winchester 4's or 5's is a Carlson's .660.  It would put 110 4's in a 10" circle @ 40yds.  Great pattern!  John

340_Dart

Thanks for the replies guys. I ended up buying a Remington Ventilator Choke after reading all the old posts on here about how guys have had good success with them. I havent gotten a good day to take it out and run my current loads through it yet. I figure if i can't get the 5's to average around 100@40 i'll buy a box of 3-2-6 Winchester Double XX's and give them a try. If they don't work out, i'll just limit myself to 35yrds!

On a side note, how often do you guys "deep clean" your barrels? I always clean my gun after shooting it ( only a couple shots) and it seems to be filthy each time i do. Thanks- Andy :OGani:

M R Ducks

I clean as needed.  I start seeing some fouling/plastic residue - time to clean. 

I chuck a cleaning rod with a brass brush in my drill, spray with some quality cleaning oil and have at it - then swab with either a cotton bore cleaner or old T-shirt patches. 

I always lube my chokes before installing - usually wih RemOil, and never store guns with chokes between seasons.  Only ever had one choke stick, and that was when I asked my then 14-year-old to clean the gun after duck season and he left the choke installed.  Was able to remove it with some elbow grease, but it did show some minor pitting in the barrel above the threads (so no issue).  I've had to use a torch on friends gns to get choke out before - so I just keep them out.

Used to do use this cleaning process with expensive trap guns where a mirror bore really matters when you'e back at 27 yards.

Remember, the choke section of your barrel is NOT chrome lined like the rest of it, so it will rust much more easily.

Ducks