OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

The best custom calls

Started by wernerjd, January 04, 2013, 12:21:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wernerjd

This is my first post on here. I have been on the site for about a year or so as a guest and thought that I should just join and be done with it.

So my first question is, What surface makes a better sound copper or ceramic? My second question is who makes the best copper or ceramic calls? Last question do these calls work better with cherry or walnut better?

Thanks for you input!

savduck

To me its apples and oranges. Its all personal preference.

Ceramic is a smooth sound similar to glass and more user friendly to play. Copper is a more harsh raspy ringing sound, that is a little tougher to control. Both are great surfaces and are turkey killers. you need to figure out which sound is what you want.

Some Ceramic Call makers I like....Dave Halloran and Waddle Wacker Game Calls (Carry Shead)

Some Copper Call makers I Like.....Trkyhtr and Spring Allure (Ricky Padgett)

Trkyhtr, Spring Allure, and Waddle Wacker are all members on here. you can PM them questions. I have videos of all of these calls list in the you tube call section if you want to hear them.
Georgia Boy

hunter22

I have well over 100 pot calls including several copper and ceramic surfaced calls. Two of the best sounding calls I have ever played or heard are my two copper/glass cactus pot calls made by Mike Yingling.

lightsoutcalls

Ford or Chevy?

Given your question, the term "best" is relative.  Most people looking to buy a call have a particular sound in their head that they want to hear from a call.  When they run a call that produces "that" sound, they have found the call they are looking for.  Unfortunately, that sound may or may not be what a particular gobbler wants to hear on a given day in a specific location. 
   That said, there are a number of folks here on the forum and some not on this forum that can build a great sounding call with most any surface you might want.  Let me also say that although certain surface materials have some general sound qualities, there are MANY variables that can be manipulated to create very different sounds from the same surface material.  Some of these variables include pot material, pot design, striker material, pressure applied to striker, angle of striker to surface...  There are way too many variables to list.
   If you have a specific sound that you want to hear, try to formulate a description of that sound.  You will need to think about pitch, tone, volume...  You will need to know what kind of weather conditions you plan to hunt (moisture, humidity, etc.) and what kind of calling you hope to do with the call (subtle, aggressive, calling across large fields, etc.).  Given this information, a good callmaker should be able to help you select the right wood for the pot and striker.  Some wood and surface combinations can be incapable of producing certain sounds in a call.  That said, I personally would not choose cherry or walnut for a call with either of the surfaces mentioned... but that's just me. 

Good luck in finding the call that is right for you.   :icon_thumright:
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

West Augusta

Frank Kruer and Richard Meagher (OzarkCustomCalls) also make fine sounding copper pot calls.
Stumpy makes a good sounding ceramic.
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.