OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Sighting in TruGlo sights????

Started by Thebody, December 26, 2012, 10:54:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thebody

I just purchased TruGlo Trubead turkey sights for my O/U shotgun.  I put the ghost ring sight on the back and was impressed with how easy it was to install.

I have never had to change sights on a shotgun or had adjustable sigts on a shotgun before.  What is the best way to sight it in?  Instead of blowing through some expensive turkey rounds, my initial thought is to buy some cheap birdshot, pop off some shots from 20 yards and then adjust the sights to the most dense part of the pattern.  Then pattern the gun with what I will be hunting with.

Will there be that much difference in the lead and heavier stuff as far as elevation?  I am just trying to avoid buying $100 in ammo to sight in.

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth.  Mike Tyson

Well He shoulda armed himself if he's gonna decorate his saloon with my friend.  Will Munny

dirt road ninja

Start with 2 3/4 inch low brass bird shot at 10 yards. Get your pattern spot on then move to around 25 yards with the bird shot. Make sure the pattern is still centered then move to 40 yards, still with the bird shot. Once you know "it's on" at 40 with the bird shot then sent a few turkey loads down range to confirm. While you are doing all this be sure you are using the chokes your planning on hunting with.
I doubt you will see any difference in elavation.

Thebody

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth.  Mike Tyson

Well He shoulda armed himself if he's gonna decorate his saloon with my friend.  Will Munny

o2stk1

I always use a 7 1/2 trap load and then use my trky load at 10 to 50 yards just to make sure