turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

You're giving him what? ~ Devotion ~ 12/19/12

Started by lightsoutcalls, December 19, 2012, 10:44:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lightsoutcalls

Over the last few days I have heard some interesting commentary about the "Christmas Story" and some of the falicies of traditional nativity scenes.  Some of the commentary focused on what the "inn" of "no room in the inn" was.  Other commentary focused on who the "wise men" were and when they actually arrived in comparison to Jesus' birth. 
   We have all seen nativity scenes with 3 wisemen holding ornamental containers as they peer at a baby wrapped in white cloth laying on straw in a wooden feed trough.  It could be discussed for hours about timelines and how many wisemen there actually were, where they really came from and who they were.  Our focus today is going to be on what they chose to give the infant/toddler named Jesus.  Let's take a look at what Matthew had to say:

Matthew 2:11

New Living Translation (NLT)

11 They entered the house and saw the child with his mother, Mary, and they bowed down and worshiped him. Then they opened their treasure chests and gave him gifts of gold, frankincense, and myrrh.

Most scholars believe that by the time the wisemen arrived, Jesus was likely around 2 years of age.  Try to think about gifts you have given or would give a child somewhere between birth and 3 years old.  My memory seems to slip a little as I get older, but I am almost certain I have never given any of these 3 gifts to a toddler... or anyone else for that matter.

Gold - A gift fit for a king.  The wisemen recognized the infant/toddler Jesus as King.  They knew that his kingdom was of heavenly appointment and would not be a mere earthly reign.  By giving gold, they acknowledged Jesus as King.

Frankincense - A priestly gift.  Frankincense was a resin product from a tree that was used by priests to present "meat offerings" to God.  These offerings were made to atone for the sins of a people in order to keep them from the judgment of God.  The sweet smelling aroma created by burning this substance was pleasing to God.  By giving frankincense, they acknowledged Jesus as the priest who interceded between man and God to atone for sin.

Myrrh - A gift often associated with death.  The wisemen presented a gift that foretold the very purpose of Jesus life.  The Bible mentions myrrh 2 more times in regards to Jesus.  Jesus was offered wine mixed with myrrh to ease the pain experienced while hanging on the cross.  The last time, the Bible tells of Niccodemus bringing myrrh along with aloe to prepare Jesus body for burial.  By giving myrrh, the wisemen acknowledged the significance of the death of Jesus from the time of His birth.

God used the tangible gifts of these wisemen to reveal and confirm His plan for His gift, Jesus, given to you and to me. 

How will you use the gift that you have been given?
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

snoodlum

BOFF

Great devotional Wendell!!

Thanks for the accountability and the teaching of what each of the three gifts meant.

God Bless,
David B.