OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Tube call questions

Started by 870BkWht, February 07, 2011, 03:56:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

870BkWht

Im a little perplexed by the tube calls that Ive seen being made by several people, and just had a few questions.  Are they easy to use, and can you make more sounds than just loud cutts with them?  Is it anything similar to the old Leon diaphrahm turkey calls?

letinmfly

Fairly easy to use with some practice.  They reproduce a good yelp, cluck, putt, purr, kee-kee, and even a gobble.  That's just what I've learned to do.  You'd be quite surprised and impressed with the sounds of a tube call.
Captain of the former Gobble Kings

pappy

Tube callers are super easy to learn to use, Primos has a video on the tube, you can gobble, purr, or whatever with practice. The old timers....me included....used to make them out of snuff cans.....
my new email is paw.paw.jack@sbcglobal.net
tel...573-380-8206

ElkTurkMan

I am learning to use one now, and for me it's been a little tough to learn, but I'm getting there.  I am confident enough to have it around my neck this spring.  One thing I will say is if you can swing it, I would go ahead and buy a good wood one.  IMO the wood tubes sound a lot better than the plastic ones.  That's just my opinion.  Good Luck with whatever you decide.  They are a neat little addition to the arsenol.

neal

I wouldn't go to the woods without out one! Love me some tube call! You can make just about every turkey sound on them. One thing with them is if you can't get it to play real well try some thicker or thinner latex, I like a thinner latex on my calls. I just ask my dentist for some dental dam when I'm there and your good to go!

Good luck!

Neal
Hooks Custom Calls Prostaff member

NWTF Diamond life member, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation Life Member, NWTF Nationals Hunting Call Competition Judge, Hooks custom calls striker builder, WI, MN & IA State Friction Calling Champion.

shootumindaface

Like Neal I would not go to the woods without one.. It is my number one weapon cutting and running and has essentially replaced a box call for me.. The cutting is un real sharp and poppy.. Yelps are loud.. They also gobble, fighting purr and everything in between..

I run the Ol QB snuff can.. I was turned on to them due to the ease of changing latex vs a regular style O ring style tube, which I swear can take 3 hands to change sometimes..

savduck

I have a few, but the are tough to deal with. I sure would like too get a good one and learn from somebody.

I used to love the OLD knight and hale video and Walter Parrot used to be very good on one.
Georgia Boy

paboxcall

Quote from: 870BkWht on February 07, 2011, 03:56:36 PM
Im a little perplexed by the tube calls that Ive seen being made by several people, and just had a few questions.  Are they easy to use, and can you make more sounds than just loud cutts with them?  Is it anything similar to the old Leon diaphrahm turkey calls?

I've heard Harold Knight and Cuz Strickland run a tube, and that may be some of the most realistic yelps and cutts I've heard.  Awesome.

I have struggled personally trying to learn how to run one, I mess with one every year but lack the confidence to carry one.

In the hands of a guy who can though, watch out.   :z-winnersmiley:
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

870BkWht

So would I be better off to buy a cheap one to learn the jist of it, then purchase a good wood tube?

timbrhuntr

I got one from Handcannon and he sent me some step by step instructions with it. I can't wait to try it out this year.

shootumindaface

Quote from: 870BkWht on February 07, 2011, 09:32:01 PM
So would I be better off to buy a cheap one to learn the jist of it, then purchase a good wood tube?
I couldnt tell a difference between the wood and plastic ones I have run.. The caller and tuning has more effect

ElkTurkMan

Before I purchased my wood tube, I baught the quacker boy tube, and it came with a pretty good DVD, that gave real good instructions.  It was pretty reasonable.  I want to say I paid $12.00 for the DVD, and and the tube together.

FLAhotdog

I also will never enter the turkey woods w/o a tube call around my neck. I own a couple Quaker Boy tubes, a few customs and got a Woodhaven tube last year (they dont advertise their tube call on their www site), that is A+....I mostly prefer a lighter latex. You can fool around with the set, reed thickness, and multiple reeds to go anywhere from crisp and clear to nasty rasp. Getcha one and dont look back.

They are also light and easy to access when worn around your neck--run n' gun weapon of choice.

handcannon

Buying a call like the q-boy tube will get you going in the right direction. The pre-set latex is really easy to use. Once you go with a custom call, you can experiment with different pieces of latex and set it how you like it to sound. It's one of the few calls you can buy that you have control over the sound it puts out and not be a callmaker. You owe it to yourself to give it a try plus, generally they are not that expensive.

drenalinld

The tube is no more difficult to run than a diaphram. For some, it comes easier and others more difficult. After a couple weeks with custom wood calls from pappy and TRKYHTR this is what I sounded like. I'm getting a little better since these videos.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBsqvBOpfN0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcB7fZgTdBk&feature=related

I have a Primos' plastic tube and a Knight and Hale, and a Quaker Boy. If you send me a few dollars for shipping, you can have them to get started on. I will never use them, although after spending the time to learn to run a tube call after buying a few custom wood tubes, I can make the plastic ones sound decent.