turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

How to do a Devotional....11/18/12

Started by pappy, November 18, 2012, 11:45:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pappy

Since we started doing devotions some years back, I have asked several folks if they would be gracious enough to post one. Several have and continue to do so, some were afraid that they wouldn't know what to say or how to say it. so, I have this crazy thought, why not help these wonderful folks out a little and do a short in-structural...on how to write a devotional...
1.  Pray about what God would have you write.
Matthews 7: 7,8 ......Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you: For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened. Some folks think that praying must involve some kind of sickness or some terrible need that has to be addressed, but prayer is simply communicating with God, having some sit down time, and there is no better time to be spent then when one is seeking out how to reach others through writing a devotional. Asking for directions isn't as bad as we may think, listening to them may be a little bit harder for some, but nonetheless, start your devotional on your knees...
2.  Keep it focused on one idea, and ask God to lead you to a Scripture verse that will relate to your idea. Let's say you are guided to write about loving each other.... once you feel God has focused on a topic, now ask for scriptures....John 15 : 13 ..... Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.
3.  Keep it short and to the point.  Ever sit in church and listen to the fellow behind the pulpit go on and on till eventually you forget what it was he was talking about?  Boring messages never fuel the fire, they act more like a wet blanket on the flames.  Luke 24 : 25.... Then opened He their understanding, that they might understand the scriptures, being able to receive the lesson like a child, influenced by its content, then find course to act upon it. This can only come about by reading a simple message, and being simple does not mean to put someone down because of their inability to understand, but to make it simple enough to allow them to build on it, in their life's experiences. To make a change.
NOW I HOPE AND PRAY THIS WILL HELP SOMEONE TO DECIDE TO PUT THEIR THOUGHTS TO PEN AND PERHAPS TOUCH ANOTHER HEART IN NEED. ENCOURAGING AND DEVELOPING IN CHRIST....

my new email is paw.paw.jack@sbcglobal.net
tel...573-380-8206

vaturkey

Thanks for those inspiring words Pappy !   :jesus-cross:
Vaturkey