News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

New Callmaker Book Comin'!

Started by NCBigShot, October 15, 2012, 06:47:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NCBigShot

Hello all!
First off, to answer your question, "Where the heck have you been?!".. I want to say everything is fine here.. Fact is I just needed to re-connect with family and take care of a ton of stuff I brushed aside through last spring season.. Thanks to those who reached out to me. I promise I won't fall off the earth for so long next time.

News is that someone new has stepped up and decided to publish a new book of call makers. I got word of it via Facebook, and I spoke to him on the phone and he said he wanted me to put the word out for him on this forum.

His name is John Hood, and he himself is a call maker. He's a 'younger' guy, and he's only been making calls for the past 2 or 3 years, but like us all, he's very passionate about his art.
And the way he's going about making his book is something new as well. Basically he's letting the callmakers fill out their own biography sheet and submit it with one profile picture of the maker, and up to three pictures of their calls. Big change from how Mickel did his books..No personal interviews. In this way the book will be factually accurate, since all text will be directly provided by the call makers. He does have a few stipulations...He will not accept any calls made on a CNC machine and nothing with pre-made molded parts. Also, the book will be a mixture of waterfowl and turkey calls..No deer grunts, predator calls, etc. He also wants to include as many "little guys" as possible, including part-timers and hobbyists.
He's hoping to collect as many call makers as possible before the end of this year.. His target publication date is sometime in March, 2013.

Here is his contact info..

John D. Hood, II
www.lowercreekgamecalls.com
john@lowercreekgamecalls.com

E-mail him and he will send you the required forms. Please let him know that I sent you from OG! :icon_thumright:

When the Dogwood is white, the time is right...

Old Gobbler

Ken ,Sounds interestimg,   I'll give him a hollar  :icon_thumright:
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

paramedic_hood

I would like to give everyone an update about the book I am working on.  After talking to NCBigShot on the phone he brought up some concerns and questions people have had.  This is a very unique project I am working on that has never been done before in the callmaking world.  Below are some answers to some of the questions and concerns some call makers have had.  If you are a call maker I hope you are interested in being part of this project.  I want to get as many participants as possible.

1.  What is my goal for the book?

Like most call makers I am amazed at the detail and craftsmanship that goes into making calls.  I beleive their are alot of call makers that have not received the recognition that deserve for the work.  No matter if you are an average call maker (like myself) or someone that does it for a living you are part of the call making history and you should be recognized.  That is why I am working on such a big project.  I want this to be the who's who of call makers. 

2.  How are you going to get the book published?

I work as a paramedic which is not a big paying job so yes I am on a budget and would not be possible for me to take on such a big project without modern technology.  I have done alot of resarch on getting books published and I have come up with a solution.  The answer is publish on demand.  Publish on demand is where you work with a publishing company in my case it will be amazon.  What happens is they have a database that stores all the information and each book is printed when there is an order placed.  This keeps all of the cost down which in returns gives me the oppertunity to make this happen.

3.  Who can be in the book?

It does not matter if you are a world famous call maker or someone that makes a call or two a year you can be included in the book.  This is what makes the book very unique and something that has never before been done.  The only restrictions are the calls must be made by hand, be waterfowl or turkey calls, no molded parts.

4.  Does the call maker have to send in any calls?

At first when I started working on this project I was going to require at least one call be mailed in and it was going to be part of a complete book set.  I have since changed my mind with the help of several call makers.  They have brought up several good points and I agree it is just not feasable for some call makers to send in a call when there calls sell for hundreds of dollars.  I would not expect a call maker to do this so I have changed the rule to bring in more call makers.  If the call maker wants to send in a call they would be more than welcome to and it will be put on display at shows and other events as well as be pictured in the book.  BUT AGAIN THIS IS NOT GOING TO BE A REQUIREMENT ANYMORE!

5.  What do I need for the book?

short questionnaire answered
short biography about yourself (this will be used in the book and there is no better way to get information than from each person themself.)
Picture of the call maker (making calls or hunting related)
Up to 4 pictures of calls you want seen in the book (these will be published in full color so pleaes have good quality pictures)
**You can mail a call in if you want it to be displayed at shows and such but not going to be required.**

I think I have answered most of the questions people have.  If there is something else you would like to know please let me know.

If you are interested you can e-mail me at john@lowercreekgamecalls.com

Thank you for your time,
John Hood

gobblingghost

When is it going to be ready? I want one.

paramedic_hood

Quote from: gobblingghost on October 17, 2012, 08:50:34 PM
When is it going to be ready? I want one.

Nothing is set in stone but I am looking at getting it published around March 2013

pappy

" 4.  Does the call maker have to send in any calls?

At first when I started working on this project I was going to require at least one call be mailed in and it was going to be part of a complete book set.  I have since changed my mind with the help of several call makers.  They have brought up several good points and I agree it is just not feasible for some call makers to send in a call when there calls sell for hundreds of dollars.  I would not expect a call maker to do this so I have changed the rule to bring in more call makers.  If the call maker wants to send in a call they would be more than welcome to and it will be put on display at shows and other events as well as be pictured in the book.  BUT AGAIN THIS IS NOT GOING TO BE A REQUIREMENT ANYMORE!"

JOHN THIS WAS MY CONCERN WHEN WE TALKED, EVEN THOUGH I WOULD HAVE SENT IN A CALL I AM JUST WEARY OF FOLKS WHO CLAIM TO BE DOING ONE THING AND END UP DOING NOTHING. I AM GLAD YOU HAVE SEEN THIS THROUGH THE EYES OF A CALL MAKER, SINCE YOU ARE ONE YOURSELF. I WOULD LOVE TO BE A PART OF YOUR BOOK. AND WOULD RECOMMEND TO OTHER CALL MAKERS TO BE PART OF IT. CAN'T WAIT TO SEE SOME NEW BLOOD IN THIS AREA......PAPPY
my new email is paw.paw.jack@sbcglobal.net
tel...573-380-8206

paramedic_hood

If anyone else is interested in being featured in the book please let me know.  I am now up to over 130 call makers and would love to add more of the call makers on this forum.  All that is needed is some basic information and a few pictures.  You can send me an e-mail at john@lowercreekgamecalls.com 

Thanks, John Hood

SinGin

Has anyone heard if the book is still on?

NCBigShot

...Just spoke to John via email last week.. Yep, he says he's about 75% done at this point.
Still looking at a release time in spring of 2013.
When the Dogwood is white, the time is right...

WillowRidgeCalls

Sounds good, just sent him a Death Wish for the shows.
Wisconsin Turkey and Turkey Hunting Pro-Staff
Scott

smurf

Quote from: pappy on October 18, 2012, 10:10:00 AM
" 4.  Does the call maker have to send in any calls?

At first when I started working on this project I was going to require at least one call be mailed in and it was going to be part of a complete book set.  I have since changed my mind with the help of several call makers.  They have brought up several good points and I agree it is just not feasible for some call makers to send in a call when there calls sell for hundreds of dollars.  I would not expect a call maker to do this so I have changed the rule to bring in more call makers.  If the call maker wants to send in a call they would be more than welcome to and it will be put on display at shows and other events as well as be pictured in the book.  BUT AGAIN THIS IS NOT GOING TO BE A REQUIREMENT ANYMORE!"

JOHN THIS WAS MY CONCERN WHEN WE TALKED, EVEN THOUGH I WOULD HAVE SENT IN A CALL I AM JUST WEARY OF FOLKS WHO CLAIM TO BE DOING ONE THING AND END UP DOING NOTHING. I AM GLAD YOU HAVE SEEN THIS THROUGH THE EYES OF A CALL MAKER, SINCE YOU ARE ONE YOURSELF. I WOULD LOVE TO BE A PART OF YOUR BOOK. AND WOULD RECOMMEND TO OTHER CALL MAKERS TO BE PART OF IT. CAN'T WAIT TO SEE SOME NEW BLOOD IN THIS AREA......PAPPY

Jack you want to see some new blood just hang around my shop sometime.  My wife calls me the "Tim Taylor" of callmaking. 
If you can't stand behind our troops.  Feel free to stand in front of them.

paramedic_hood

Though I would give everyone an update on the callmaker book I am working on.  I am getting close to having everything complete.  I am sending out proofs at this time to all of the callmakers that are in the book.  Once I get approval by all of the call makers it will then go to a professional editor who will fix any grammer mistakes.  Book should be published sometime in April.  Book will feature over 90 call makers many of which have never before been published.  It will be close to 200 pages printed in full color.  I will post more information as it becmoes available.  This has been a very long project and I have over 9 months of work into it countless hours. 

AUDoubleBeard

Great to hear, can't wait to purchase a copy! :icon_thumright:

TarheelTurk

John  I def want one !! So You or Ken on here or FB either one is fine!
Grandads Advice : "Sometimes its better to be quit and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubts" LOL

paramedic_hood

Quote from: TarheelTurk on March 18, 2013, 03:24:26 PM
John  I def want one !! So You or Ken on here or FB either one is fine!

When they are published they will be available online at amazon or if you want a signed copy for the same cost as amazon I will have them on my website as well.  When it is published I will post a message on here.

Thanks, John Hood