OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

winchesters and mossy

Started by Coldtrain, March 02, 2011, 06:44:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coldtrain

What kind of numbers should iI be getting out of my setup.   Mossy 835 with jellyhead .690 shooting winchester supreme 3.5  6 shot.  I just patterned it and only had 83 in 10 inch circle at 40.  Thanks!

Skeeterbait

About what I would expect with that combo.  A .670-.675 choke would perform better.

allaboutshooting

That's normally a little open for that gun and shell. As has been said, I see my best results from 835s & 935s with a .670 turkey choke and of course a "deep cleaned" barrel.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

ILIKEHEVI-13

I think Clark is about right on the money.  .670 does seem to work very well.  So does .675. 

knightrider

you also might get more numbers with the #5 shot in that more open choke, or mine does anyways i get better numbers with 5 than i do 6 with the more open chokes in my 835, just my experience yours may vari

Reloader

I have had patterns in the 120-140 range with the 3.5 Win HV Supreme #6s using a Star Dot .676.  The JH seems to do well with Hevi 6s, but not all that great with lead 6s.

I would try a PG .670 or IC BDS .675 if you can't locate a SD.

Coldtrain

So, with getting a new choke is kinda out of the question for now, what shell would you recommend for my combo, hevi 5s,  6s,  or mag blend?

drum817

Get some 3.5" Hevi 13 #7's and shoot your .690 Jellyhead.....your pattern should be fine and 7's will easily kill birds farther than you probably want to shoot.
"Freedom Has Never Been Free"