OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

waterfowl chokes

Started by slicksbeagles1, October 04, 2012, 01:30:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

slicksbeagles1

which choke do you guys like best for 20 to 40 yard. shots using Kent 3" 11/8 oz #3 in a sx2 28"

Spring Creek Calls

2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com

savduck

Georgia Boy

Old Gobbler

For what its worth ,I've been using a Pure Gold tempest IC extended and I am quite happy with it- I've used 1 1/8 fed #4 and have no problem dropping them at 25-3O yards , 35 is a long shot for me with the ducks but I have finished of a escaping cripple swimming off at 40 ish yards plenty of times

This year I purchased a case of Fed #3 1550 fps loads, ill test pattern it for you guys with a few loads and the factory ic choke for you guys to compare
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

TrophyTracker

Before I write my reply, I'd like to be up front and say that I am a member of the Hevi-Shot Pro-Staff. I only want to say that so that it doesn't look like I'm pushing a hidden agenda. I respect all mfgr's products, and believe that they all make quality product, for the most part. Pure Gold, Carlson's, Wad Wizard, etc. All make good tubes worth checking out.

I personally use the Hevi-Shot Extreme Range (ER) tubes in all of my waterfowl guns. I never know how far my shots are going to be, so I lean on the choice that is made to give me the most range. I plan to either hit them Hard at the farther ranges, or hit them Extremely hard up close. The tubes have three wad stripping rings inside of them, much like the Indian Creek tubes do. I have had a lot of success with this tube at a host of yardages, with a lot of different loads.

I have had great success with a factory MOD tube at the ranges specified as well. The Kent #3's are a solid choice in my opinion. Good luck this season, and with your choice  :icon_thumright:
New to you, not the game
Drink a Monster, Live Forever!
Beatdown City Fl

savduck

Quote from: Old Gobbler on October 07, 2012, 02:17:34 PM
For what its worth ,I've been using a Pure Gold tempest IC extended and I am quite happy with it- I've used 1 1/8 fed #4 and have no problem dropping them at 25-3O yards , 35 is a long shot for me with the ducks but I have finished of a escaping cripple swimming off at 40 ish yards plenty of times

This year I purchased a case of Fed #3 1550 fps loads, ill test pattern it for you guys with a few loads and the factory ic choke for you guys to compare

Shannon, I got hold of some 2 3/4 federal 1 1/4 number 6s this teal season. Bad news. Great shells.
Georgia Boy

MOStrutter

For a 12 guage and not sky busting birds, then a simple stock modified choke has always worked for me.  But like anything else, try an IC or others at the range and see how they work.  If I am shooting ducks, and I only shoot drakes close to the decoys, than it is simple Xpert 3" 3s with my Browning BPS 28" mod choke. For geese I use #2s but am still playing around with loads for them.  Tried some Black Cloud for the first time last weekend and it did the job pretty well on a honker flying away from me.

SumToy

I think a LM will do you the best.  I have some patterns I will dig them up.  I know with the Black Clouds the LM is just ugly.
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

boomer

I've had good luck with Wad Wizard choke tubes got both the swat and supreme for my sbe.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

fowlfan

I use the HeviShot turkey with great results so I bought a HeviShot mid-range tube for my waterfowl hunting. Whether I am using HeviShot or Hevi-Metal, they pattern really well out of my gun. I have compared at different distances against the factory tube and the HeviShot mid-range excels.

nativeks

If I am just targeting geese patternmaster. Most of my hunting is duck hunting though and my factory IC throws nasty patterns out of my gun with 3" 3s in both Fiocchi and Federal blue box shells. My brother has the same gun I do and runs his patternmaster all the time.

birdyhunter

I use a carlsons extended mod in my nova and its devastating.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

mightyjoeyoung

Trophy Tracker,  THANK YOU.  A very candid and honest response.  I really like the Hevi Shot tubes myself.  I know they work and work well as I have run them myself.  E.M. and Carlson's really hit a home run with them imo.  I have talked to quite a few E.M. staffers and so far you and Shaun P. are about the most knowledgeable and respectable.  Now...if you could just get those idiots wingseeker and reblecj7 to just STOP POSTING... ever again it would truly make my day and I'm sure many...MANY other people's days as well. Wingseeker whoever he is, has gotten so bad I have begun just deleting his posts on any forum I moderate on.
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

Old Gobbler

Say, is that 5 o'clock charlie again ?

:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

birdyhunter

I shoot an extended mod. Carlsons waterfowl choke and it is absolutely lights out from my nova with a 28" barrel.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2