turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

More to Dense Patterns than just the # of Pellets in the Shell

Started by 3" 870 Shell Shucker, September 23, 2012, 08:58:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

3" 870 Shell Shucker

I will use an example that may not seem terribly relevant to some, but to others, it may be a good example.

I patterned 1 ounce of Lead #6, #7.5, and #8 through a super tight choke at 20 Yards.  I then counted the number of pellets in a 5" x 5" square at the core of the pattern.

#6    = 107 pellets
#7.5 = 179 pellets
#8    = 183 pellets

Now obviously I saw a large increase in the # of hits when going from #6 to #7.5 Lead, but almost no difference whatsoever when going from #7.5 to #8 Lead.  Why?  Obviously I had more Flyers with the #8's.  I had expected to break 200 with #8's in this choke, but I didn't.  All 3 patterns looked good. 

I easily broke 250, and then 300 with other chokes shooting #8's, but this particular choke seemed to take best advantage of the #7.5's.  Same gun, same shells, same distance, different chokes, etc.

Perhaps we pass judgement on chokes too quickly, when we pattern our 1 or 2 favorite loads through a new choke and it doesn't put up the numbers we expect.  There may indeed be a load that will work in such a choke, but we sell or trade it off in such a hurry that we never know.

Just sayin'.