Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Forced Charity? ~ Devotion ~ 9/19/12

Started by lightsoutcalls, September 19, 2012, 09:44:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lightsoutcalls

On my way to work this morning I heard a conservative talk radio host discussing increased taxation and the reasoning given to help those less fortunate.  She went on to explain how, prior to tax increases in our country's past, charity was a more integral part of society.  People gave much more freely of themselves and their possessions.  As time went on, our government (in large part the turn came with FDR) began to require us to give more of our money to support those causes that it deemed worthy.  Since that time, voluntary giving has suffered.  Many of the needs of others were met by Christian people and Christian based organizations.  In large part, the government has taken over that role with the money they demand from citizens, and as we all know, are not nearly as efficient in carrying out their stated goals.  They have created a type of forced charity, which is not charity at all.  Before I get too far down the side-road, let me share what I found when I opened my email this morning...

September 19, 2012

Meeting Needs
By Michael Youssef, Ph.D.

Having and following a vision isn't just for big dreamers and world-changers. As Christians, we all have been called by God to pursue His plan and purpose for our lives. Having a vision will guide both your destination and your direction in fulfilling God's purposes.

Visions can be big or small. They can be global or local. But a vision doesn't need to be complicated. At the very heart of having a life-vision is seeing a need—and meeting that need.

God has placed us in our jobs, our neighborhoods, and our families for a purpose—to meet the needs around us. Truly visionary people are those who have the ability to recognize the needs around them, as well as the determination and willingness to meet those needs.

How often do we see a need, yet do nothing about it? We may feel pity or concern, yet we stand back and do nothing. We are unwilling to risk our comfort, our reputation, and our security. But we cannot be that visionary person for God unless we are willing to risk everything for Him.

God wants you to make a difference in the lives of other people. He has given you your blessings, gifts, talents, resources, and connections for a reason.

Prayer: Father, help me to be able to recognize the needs that are around me and to have the willingness and courage to meet those needs. I pray in the name of Jesus. Amen.

"If anyone has material possessions and sees his brother in need but has no pity on him, how can the love of God be in him?" (1 John 3:17)

WOW!  I think God was trying to say something to at least me this morning.  If you feel a similar urging, pray that He shows you where you can meet the needs of another.  It may not be financial, but God has blessed us all with specific means of helping others.  Sometimes it's as simple as a smile, a kind word or a polite gesture like holding a door open for someone.   
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

Roostem33

God wants you to make a difference in the lives of other people. He has given you your blessings, gifts, talents, resources, and connections for a reason.

Your so right Wendell, it does not have to be money, your time, talent, and resources can be a big help to someone in need.

Jody
The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly.(John 10:10)

BOFF

Thank you Wendell!!!

May we all use our God given talents, and abilities to build others up!!!

God Bless,
David B.