OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Remington 870 20 choke questions

Started by 870BkWht, September 10, 2012, 10:07:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

870BkWht

First I want to say that I apologize if this has been covered before and If Im making the choke question more redundant. 

I recently struck up a deal with a fellow boardmember and traded my 28'' barrel for his 22'' barrel for the Remington 870 20 ga.  This gun has mainly been used for squirrels, rabbits and the like, although I did kill my first turkey with this gun back in 97 with a modified choke tube and a 1oz load of Federal Hi-power #6.  Anyways, I have already a flush fit Carlsons Xtra full choke tube, but I am in the market for an extended turkey choke tube.  I have looked at several online in the past couple of days but I really do not want to at this time spend a lot of bread on a 70 plus dollar Indian Creek, or Rhino or the like.  I was looking at some of the lower price point choke tubes such as Primos and Truglo.  I was wondering if anyone has any experience with the Primost Tighwad or the Truglo Gobble Stopper tubes in their Remingtons.  I also considered buying a Remington super full.  Also does anyone know if the HS undertaker is made for Remchoke in a 20ga. 

I am also wondering if anyone shoots any lead in their 20 and what kind of general results they get.  This gun will be a little side project for me as well as making a good turkey gun for my son later down the road, although I hope to break it in for him before then.

Thanks for you help
Ben

Eric Gregg

Hey Ben,
I thought someone would have tagged in on this one by now....so I will try to help.
One of the combinations that a lot of guys here on the forum have had good patterns with is the REM RSF choke rated for Hevi-Shot and Federal Heavyweight #7's, and/or Hevi-Shot #6's. Great combo 40 and in. Each gun is a different beast and sometimes you have to do a little trial and error, but, I was pointed to that combo by a lot of guys here.

I believe that you PM'd someone about the choke I am referring to and hopefully you can get your hands on that one. If not you can find one at Midwestshootingsupply for roughly around $10. If you shoot the Fed Heavyweight you will need this choke because it isn't ported and you have to use a non-ported choke because of the Flite-Control wad.

Hope this will point you in the right direction.

savduck

Hey Ben.

There were a bunch of post about a year ago about the Remingtons. A bunch of those guys have gone on to other boards, but there are still a few here.  As mentioned a bunch of guys had good luck with the Rem super full for hevi shot....they are hard to find,but are out there. A couple other guys had good luck with the extended hastings turkey, and i do remember somebody had good results with the tighwad choke.

I had pretty decent patterns with the IC 555, the tru glo ssx 550, and the sumtoy 562-5, but Im shooting federal 7s. We shot some lead patterns then shot the hevi 7s and fed 7s....it is night and day difference. If you keep an eye on the classifieds you may be able to pick used a used high end choke for the price range your looking for, keep that in mind to.
Georgia Boy

R AJ

The Gobble Stopper Extreme is ported but shoots very acceptable patterns using both lead and Hevi-shot loads.
The HS Strut  Undertaker is a solid choke but I have not tried it using Federal FC wads. Knowing the way the Gobble Stopper Extreme is ported I would try it in all types and not have issues.

The Rem SF as mentioned does good on all types also.

For a few dollars more the TG SSX is very tight in patterning either Fed or Hevi-13 and does well with lead loads. By basing shots at 30-35 yards max in 20 gauge you will see some quite tight patterns.
At 30 yards using any of those and especially some of the higher end chokes in lead or HTL I will take turkeys all day long using a 20 gauge.

SumToy

Good gun. You will like it if you DONT over choke it.  The Fed HW or the HV-13 will work.  I like the Fed HW.  They hit harder and are less money.  They are easy to find also.  I have about gave up on HV-13 just do to you cant find them and they give away so much that we have got to pay more for the shell. 
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

Eric Gregg

Quote from: SumToy on September 13, 2012, 11:53:52 PM
Good gun. You will like it if you DONT over choke it.  The Fed HW or the HV-13 will work.  I like the Fed HW.  They hit harder and are less money.  They are easy to find also.  I have about gave up on HV-13 just do to you cant find them and they give away so much that we have got to pay more for the shell.

On that shorter barrel using the FED Heavyweight's , what choke have you seen work the best?

SumToy

I have not been able to get anything smaller then 562 to work with our set up.  Now I know that the IC is a 555 and folks have had good luck with it also.  With the good lots I have seen them go 150 to 160 on average.  You will get a few that will go bigger but not all the time. 
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

allaboutshooting

Quote from: 870BkWht on September 10, 2012, 10:07:41 PM
First I want to say that I apologize if this has been covered before and If Im making the choke question more redundant. 

I recently struck up a deal with a fellow boardmember and traded my 28'' barrel for his 22'' barrel for the Remington 870 20 ga.  This gun has mainly been used for squirrels, rabbits and the like, although I did kill my first turkey with this gun back in 97 with a modified choke tube and a 1oz load of Federal Hi-power #6.  Anyways, I have already a flush fit Carlsons Xtra full choke tube, but I am in the market for an extended turkey choke tube.  I have looked at several online in the past couple of days but I really do not want to at this time spend a lot of bread on a 70 plus dollar Indian Creek, or Rhino or the like.  I was looking at some of the lower price point choke tubes such as Primos and Truglo.  I was wondering if anyone has any experience with the Primost Tighwad or the Truglo Gobble Stopper tubes in their Remingtons.  I also considered buying a Remington super full.  Also does anyone know if the HS undertaker is made for Remchoke in a 20ga. 

I am also wondering if anyone shoots any lead in their 20 and what kind of general results they get.  This gun will be a little side project for me as well as making a good turkey gun for my son later down the road, although I hope to break it in for him before then.

Thanks for you help
Ben

I had not seen your post until today and apologize for my late reply. We shoot 2 different 20 gauge 870s both in competition and for hunting. Mine has a 28" barrel and Doris' has a 26" barrel. I have shot the shorter barrels but find that the 26" seems to be just about perfect.

We shoot a lot of 3" Hevi-13 shells but also have shot a lot of the Federal Heavyweight shells and the Winchester XRHD as well as quite a variety of lead shot shells.

We've tried most if not all of the commercially produced turkey chokes in those guns in many different exit diameters. They all have positive qualities. The SSX is an excellent, reasonably priced, high quality turkey choke that works well with the #6 and #7 Hevi-13 shells as well as exceptionally well with the Federal Heavyweight #7 shot shells. I believe if you look at some older posts, you'll see many others who've used that choke very successfully with those shells.

I hope that helps some.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

gophert

I have two 870 20 ga's both with 21" barrels.  I have pretty much run the gauntlet with chokes.  I would echo pretty much what everyone else is saying.  My daughter (age 11) shoots the Rem Super Full approved for Hevi.  Out to 40, it pretty much shoots anything good and the pattern is not too tight , so she has some wiggle room.  I shoot the Indian Creek .555 in mine.  Its patterns are very consistent BUT very tight.  It is a sho nuff 40 yard head smacker, but you better have a scope or red dot with this one cause at 15-20 yards the WHOLE pattern is inside a 10" circle.  The TruGlo SSX .550 also puts up good numbers, but I could not get it to shoot consistently each time.  I just think it may have been too tight for my guns, but may work well in yours.  If you don't want to buy a few chokes and experiment, my suggestion would be to contact William with Sumtoy get on of his chokes.  He will make sure you get the results you need.  Good Luck!!!!