Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Friday Devotional 08/17/2012 "They Are Watching"

Started by BOFF, August 17, 2012, 07:23:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BOFF

Taken from Our Daily Bread, written by Bill Crowder.

A professional football player's team was having a terrible season, losing week after week. A reporter asked him how he stayed motivated to play hard and give his best even though his team lost almost every game. He responded, "My dad is watching that game. My mom is watching that game. You better believe I'm going to do my best!" He recognized that there was more at stake than just winning or losing. People were watching, and that reality always drove him to do his best.

Jesus reminded us of this reality in the early portions of His Sermon on the Mount. We should live our lives with a recognition that what we do is observed by those around us—and this visible life makes a statement about our God. He said, "Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works and glorify your Father in heaven" (Matt. 5:16). How does the light of our lives shine? By bringing the heart and character of Christ into the situations that engage us every day. By showing compassion as He did for the marginalized or forgotten. By displaying concern for the Father's name and reputation.

People are watching us. The question is, What do they see?

Show me the way, Lord, let my light shine
As an example of good to mankind.
Help them to see the patterns of Thee,
Shining in beauty, lived out in me. —Neuer

Let your light shine—whether you're a candle in a corner or a lighthouse on a hill.

Heavenly Father,

Thank you for the day you have given us. Thank you for your many blessings, especially the eternal salvation we have through your son Jesus. May His light shine through us, to those around us every day. Help us to maintain a refreshing, positive spirit, and be ready to proclaim the reason why, to those who see your light in us and question its source. To you be the glory.

For it is in Jesus name we ask, and claim these things, Amen!!

God Bless,
David B. 

snoodlum

Thank you for hearing from GOD.Isaiah 52:7 says "How beautiful upon the mountains are the feet of him that bring good tidings,that publisheth peace ;that bringeth good tidings of good,that publisheth salvation; that saith unto Zion, Thy God reigneth !

Roostem33

This is so true David, Thanks for the reminder.

Jody
The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly.(John 10:10)

Duke0002

Beautiful, David.

"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works and glorify your Father in heaven"

"Our lights shine, our good works"  in order that people may glorify our God!   Humbling but powerful words.  All glory to Him!