OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

How Do You Pattern Your Turkey Gun?

Started by Nimrodmar10, March 02, 2011, 08:46:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

I'm not worried about targets or shells or 10" circles. Just wondering how you hold your shotgun when you shoot for patterns. What's your best method?

Offhand Standing
2 (2.9%)
Sitting
24 (34.3%)
From a bench with sandbags
18 (25.7%)
A mechanical rest like a Lead Sled
23 (32.9%)
Other (please explain)
3 (4.3%)

Total Members Voted: 64

Voting closed: March 05, 2011, 08:46:22 AM

Basser69

WyoHunter

After patterning from the bench I shoot one from the sitting position at 40 yards to confirm my POI. This is to confirm my POI from a hunting position.  :icon_thumright: :cowboy:
If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!

turkeytromp

Well folks, I sit down against a tree in my backyard and use my sticks to steady the gun when sighting in with regular 2-3/4" #7 game loads, then when I get it dialed in poa-poi close with the game loads I clean barrel/choke and put in the good stuff 3-1/2" hevi #7 and fine tune from there, shooting at 40yrds 30 and then 20 and also cleaning the barrel/choke after every shot at ea.
Once dialed in with my turkey load I shoot it all over again only this time without the sticks and with all my hunting gear on, vest, facemask ect. just like a real live hunting situation shooting at quaker boy life turkey targets at 40, 30, and 20yards and yes cleaning the barrel after each shot here also. Usually after that I'm very confident and shure of my setup and equipment and we are all ready to go!