OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

How Do You Pattern Your Turkey Gun?

Started by Nimrodmar10, March 02, 2011, 08:46:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

I'm not worried about targets or shells or 10" circles. Just wondering how you hold your shotgun when you shoot for patterns. What's your best method?

Offhand Standing
2 (2.9%)
Sitting
24 (34.3%)
From a bench with sandbags
18 (25.7%)
A mechanical rest like a Lead Sled
23 (32.9%)
Other (please explain)
3 (4.3%)

Total Members Voted: 64

Voting closed: March 05, 2011, 08:46:22 AM

Nimrodmar10

Just curios how the rest of the hunters get past this necessary chore (or do you enjoy getting pounded) I personally use a DFT Lead Sled with 50 lbs of shot on board. I'm not all that sensitive about recoil but I just figure there's no reason to get my shoulder pounded unless there's a turkey in front of the gun. And I pattern my guns as often as a new shell comes out that I might like, which is quite often lately. I used to say that I didn't even feel the recoil when I shoot a turkey. Well Nitro 2 7/16 oz shells have changed that. I don't have a flinch and I don't want to get one either. Okay guys, am I the only wuss on here?

hookedspur

Leadsled ,Im getting to old to take that pounding.
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

pullit

Skeeterbait

Sitting in a chair with a bipod for me.  Typical rifle benches and sand bags are too low for shooting heavy recoil guns, forcing you to hunch forward and rolling the gun butt up onto the bone of the shoulder and collar bone.  Way too punishing.  You need to be steady with a steady rest but you need to be upright and relaxed allowing your body to rock back with the recoil. I also use a PAST recoil shield and hearing protection.  It isn't bad at all this way.

deerslayer357

I just sit down against a tree just like when I hunt.  Rest the forward elbow on one knee and get as steady as possible, then let her rip!

It works pretty good for me, but it doesn't give you any relief from the recoil.

TScottW99

When sighting in I want to shoot from the bench to get it on target fast.  After that I shoot from a field position, i.e., sitting on the ground with the gun on my knee.

Have to test a new Encore barrel, choke and load in the coming weeks. Any volunteers???  :goofball:
"What gets us jangly is the suddenness of everything. We hunt turkeys because we want to hear them gobble, watch them strut and all that, and we hunt them with shotguns because we want to be close to them when those things occur." - Jim Spencer

REBELYELL

bowhunter84

decoykrvr

I chose "other" since my patterning sessions involve shooting off a bench or rest w/ sandbags to evaluate the performance ie., pattern density, % in 10" and 20" and to adjust sights for POI, followed by a session sitting on a cushion on the ground to simulate real hunting situations.  Over the years and a lot of patterning, I've found that the shotgun to shoulder contact can vary the POI significantly from what you get from the bench and sandbags.
This isn't always the case, but I've observed it enough that I wouldn't hunt w/ a shotgun unless I'd shot it under "hunt conditions".

mossy835

We have a big sheet of steel (moved around by a forklift) at the club that is on the edge of the tower range. No benches or seats unless you bring your own so I stand up and pull down on the target for testing a load choke out. With the Mueller I installed I will move over to the rifle range and fine tune POA to POI (starting with #6 lead pheasant loads estate brand) to reduce the recoil. When that is done I will move up to the MAG Blend 3 inch and shoot at twenty thirty and forty yards to test the pattern and POI to the scope setting. I also installed a limbsaver recoil pad so shooting for me is not that bad. Good luck and have some fun.

Reloader

I shoot quite a few turkey loads every year, shot 30 rounds Saturday and will probably shoot several more this Friday. 

Tripod bench rest up front and rabbit ear leather bag in the rear.  I use a Past Magnum shield with autos and add a neoprene beer huggie for pumps.  After some sessions the Advil bottle in the truck comes in handy :D

I'm not a fan of lead sled type set-ups as I feel they can damage the gun.  Many have reported damage to guns from using them with high recoil firearms and I really don't want to chance it with my turkey rigs.

I will admit that on the beast(835) I have a slip on LS pad over the stock recoil pad when patterning.

bowhunter2k9

Quote from: deerslayer357 on March 02, 2011, 09:17:21 AM
I just sit down against a tree just like when I hunt.  Rest the forward elbow on one knee and get as steady as possible, then let her rip!

It works pretty good for me, but it doesn't give you any relief from the recoil.
:agreed:

I practice the way I hunt... so nothing ever changes
Romans 8:38-39

surehuntsalot

Quote from: bowhunter2k9 on March 02, 2011, 09:24:59 PM
Quote from: deerslayer357 on March 02, 2011, 09:17:21 AM

I practice the way I hunt... so nothing ever changes

it's not the harvest,it's the chase

TrackeySauresRex

Sand Bags & Bench
With the price of ammo, I only shoot a couple of rounds a year to see if she's on. I allready now what kinda pattern she'll throw.
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

Muskie03

Muskie03 Taught Me A Lesson In 2011

If it eats I can catch it, if it bleeds I can kill it.