OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Brand new 20ga Slayer- SX3!!!

Started by TheSportsman, August 05, 2012, 09:19:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheSportsman

Guys I just bought my first 20ga turkey slayer!  I am going to hunt with it but my wife is going to use it more than anyone.  I got a new Winchester SX3 20ga turkey model with the 24" cantelever barrel in Mossy Oak Infinity.  My plans is this based on what I have gathered.  I am going to polish the barrel, then do a deep clean.  My plans then is to mount a Burris FFIII on it for her and get a Pure Gold .555 Tempest and run the Fed. Heavyweight 7s in it.... what do you guys think?  what shoud i expect in terms of patterns, etc.  any other recommendations? thanks!!!

R AJ

It is my understanding that the SX3 is an invector+ barrel. The 555s work pretty well in the smaller bored guns as a general rule but I would also look into something more of a 562 or larger diameter for that gun.

I looked at the PG  offerings and did not see a Tempest for Inv+ in 20 gauge.
I have never shot the Tempest but have shot a Sumtoy in a .563 with 5 wad catchers using the Fed HW in #7 shot and gotten very respectable patterns.
I do not recommend Sumtoy as the only choke to use but I do know that William works to satisfy your needs and he does answer phone calls. His chokes are built to last and American as apple pie.
His number is listed on the Sumtoy Custom Chokes website.

Good luck on your selections.

TheSportsman

pure gold offers the tempest in .555 and .570., .570 may be the way to go.

J Gilbert

For an Inv+ barrel, I would definitely lean towards a more open choke.  I don't have it in a 20, but my SX3 is a 12 and the "standard" constriction (.665) is a bit too tight with most loads

R AJ

Quote from: TheSportsman on August 06, 2012, 11:51:53 AM
pure gold offers the tempest in .555 and .570., .570 may be the way to go.

Find that offered in the invector+ choke and cite please.

R AJ

Quote from: TheSportsman on August 10, 2012, 07:27:31 PM
http://www.shop.gameacc.net/BROWNING-INVECTOR-PLUS_c108.htm

THERE YOU go buddy ol pal

Thanks . I was looking at the Pure Gold site and wasn't able to find it listed.

Good to know.