turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

What size of hw shot?

Started by snarer, March 01, 2011, 11:18:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

snarer

I've been shooting lead but I just can't take it any longer I've gotta try hw shot in my gun.  Wondering if I should shoot h13 #7 or #6 shot??
Gun- 12g rem 870 w/ 3 inch chamber and a carlson .665 turkey choke on the end.

hookedspur

CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

snarer

From looking at all the other messages it looks like that will be the winner.  Just seems weird shooting #7 shot at a turkey  :-\

SR1

Death Smiles At Everyone - Marines Smile Back
Artillery Brings Dignity to What Would Otherwise Be Just A Vulgar Brawl
Happiness Is A Belt-Fed Weapon
[/url]

ILIKEHEVI-13

7's are hard to beat.                                 

sugarray

When you shoot something that is more dense than lead you have to get the size of the shot out of your head.  You are carrying more energy down range and hitting them harder, thus you can shoot smaller shot.  This increases your pattern numbers, and thus efficiency of kills.

It is not about size, but how hard you are hitting them.

bbcoach

Snarer,
Sugarray has said it best so far.  We have to realize, we aren't shooting 7.5 lead shot at doves or quail.  We are shooting shot that is heavier and harder from guns that have been engineered to group tighter patterns and with aftermarket chokes designed to hold tighter patterns to greater distances then our Grandfathers every thought possible with their Scatter Guns and lead loads.  Isn't Technology Great!  We need to change our Thought process and start using Today's guns, chokes and loads like we're shooting a rifle not like we are Shooting our Grandfathers Scatter Gun.

With that being said, It's Hevi-13 777777777777's for me.  If it's legal in your State, I'd recommend you give them a try.

ILIKEHEVI-13

This will help you to understand why I like the 7's.  Seeing is believing!

http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php/topic,1421.0.html

Basser69

My SBE II shot the 6's better than the 7's for some reason. It was a more even pattern.

ILIKEHEVI-13

Quote from: Basser69 on March 02, 2011, 10:25:24 AM
My SBE II shot the 6's better than the 7's for some reason. It was a more even pattern.

That's wierd.  I have alwasy got the better numbers out of the 7's.  But there is more shot in them.  But there is a lot of 7's in the 6 loads in all actuality.  But maybe play around with choke constrictions or choke designs from other manufacturers until you find what shoots the 7's the best.  But there is nothing wrong with the 6's for sure.  They both will work great.

decoykrvr

Pattern both 7's and 6's, and if they pattern equally well, put a 7 in the chamber and two 6's in the magazine tube.  I can count on one hand the number of times that a follow-up second shot has been closer than the initial first shot and the 6's retain more downrange energy.

wisconsinteacher

I am going to exchange my 6s for 7s Friday night.  I know they will do the job if I do mine.

ILIKEHEVI-13

7's will work super if you center the pattern where it needs to be and shoot one within a reasonable distance.  They will typically put up denser patterns from what I have seen vs the 6's.  The 6's may kill farther, but the 7's will increase your chances of number of vital hits at farther distances so it to me is a tradeoff of what you want in a pattern.  I'll take the denser pattern. 

surehuntsalot

it's not the harvest,it's the chase

Gobble!