OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

What ammo would be best for a...

Started by autoxr84, March 01, 2011, 10:34:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

autoxr84

Mossberg 500 20" barrel 12 ga. and its got a X-Factor XX-full choke .670.

I am just wondering what ammo would work best for that shotgun?  The salesman at the store says he has one just like mine and he recommended the Rem. Nitro Turkey #4 shot for it.  What are your thoughts everybody?

knightrider

if i were not going to change the choke i would go for the win high velocity #5 or #6 they are far superior to the rem shells in all my mossy guns :anim_25:

hookedspur

With that choke it wouldnt be rem shells try the  fed HW 7s or change the tube and try H13 7s
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

allaboutshooting

Quote from: autoxr84 on March 01, 2011, 10:34:23 PM
Mossberg 500 20" barrel 12 ga. and its got a X-Factor XX-full choke .670.

I am just wondering what ammo would work best for that shotgun?  The salesman at the store says he has one just like mine and he recommended the Rem. Nitro Turkey #4 shot for it.  What are your thoughts everybody?

That's a very short barrel and frankly, a pretty open choke. I'd try the 3" Winchester HV (Black Shells) with 1.75 oz. of #6 shot. If that choke was not ported, I'd recommend the 3" Federal shells but those ports would "eat" the petals on that Flitecontrol Wad and possibly make for some erratic patterns.

I'd really recommend that you "deep clean" that barrel prior to shooting anything. It will help to remove any residual "gunk" from that new barrel and help regardless of what you shoot.

If after trying those shells, you're not getting the patterns you'd like, you may want to consider an after-market choke tube that will allow you to shoot some tungsten-base shot, like Hevi-13.

All my best.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

Nimrodmar10

That was the first true  turkey gun I ever owned. If I'm not mistaken Mossberg made the first short barreled mass produced  shotgun classifed as "turkey gun" and that's it. My gun loved the old Heavyweight Federal 2 oz  lead # 6s. Unfortnately they didn't like it. I broke two trigger groups in one season. Kickingest gun I ever shot.

Gobble!

Don't listen to the salesman. Theres no reason to shoot #4s. If you go with hevi shot shoot #7s and if you shoot lead go with #6s. The best load for you would be Hevi13 3" 2oz #7s. If you don't want to shoot hevi shot then listen to Clark. The Winchester HV shells are a great lead load.

shootumindaface

Dads got the 500 GS 20 inch if it is the gun you are referencing.. The supplied choke did "fairly" well or adequate at 40 yards with the red 2oz Win 6s.. He ended up shooting a SSX 643 with the 1 3/4 win HV loads and averages right at 150 at 40 yards.. His gun hated HTL from Win Elite XTD 6s to Old White to H 13 2oz 6s

autoxr84

Quote from: shootumindaface on March 02, 2011, 09:59:24 PM
Dads got the 500 GS 20 inch if it is the gun you are referencing.. The supplied choke did "fairly" well or adequate at 40 yards with the red 2oz Win 6s.. He ended up shooting a SSX 643 with the 1 3/4 win HV loads and averages right at 150 at 40 yards.. His gun hated HTL from Win Elite XTD 6s to Old White to H 13 2oz 6s

Yep!  Thants the gun!  Well looks like Winchester ammo is gonna win it for me!  But I guess I just need to suck it up, buy different ammo and find out!  Thanks for all the info guys, and hopefully I will get my first turkey!

shootumindaface

Quote from: autoxr84 on March 03, 2011, 10:01:32 AM
Quote from: shootumindaface on March 02, 2011, 09:59:24 PM

Yep!  Thants the gun!  Well looks like Winchester ammo is gonna win it for me!  But I guess I just need to suck it up, buy different ammo and find out!  Thanks for all the info guys, and hopefully I will get my first turkey!
If you want to shoot lead Yes... This was before the Hevi 7s which I can almost guarantee will whop the Win on the patterning board.. Dad's gun was weird, just did not care for HTL shot LOL

I might pick up a box of Hevi 7s soon to see what they do.. That gun is a kicker, as evidenced by the first year dads scope taking it straight to the bone around his eye

WyoHunter

Never had any luck with Remington turkey loads.
If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!

autoxr84

Can I shoot the Hevi-13 or Hevi-7 through a ported choke?  They say only lead or steel through them.  I am confused.  lol  And what is the Win XRHD and where can I find it?

Gobble!

Quote from: autoxr84 on March 04, 2011, 11:50:38 AM
Can I shoot the Hevi-13 or Hevi-7 through a ported choke?  They say only lead or steel through them.  I am confused.  lol  And what is the Win XRHD and where can I find it?

Yes you can.
Win XRHD - Winchester Xtended Range High Density (hevi shot) sold most place

autoxr84

Sweet!!!  Thanks for the quick response Gobble!