turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Sand Paper

Started by selinoid44, February 07, 2011, 01:36:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

selinoid44

What do you on a normal basis find yourself starting with as far as grit or do you vary depending on the wood?
What brand of sanding paper do you prefer and why?
This is something I've been playing with every since I started turning. I generally start at 100 grit and work my way up into the 320 to 400 grit range. The problem that I have, and I have had some good advise reading on here is, end grain or the wood laying over from dull tools. I sharpen my tools often with a guide on the bench grinder then hand stone them, which helps tremendously. The wet stone I use a lot more then continuos bench grinding. Anyway I'm still searching for the right combination of brand thats durable and will do the right job to make things easier.

'Flush Draw' Calls
Charlie Louthain
574-527-9785

lightsoutcalls

I generally work from 120 to 220 to 320 and sometimes 400.  I have been very blessed to have gotten a load of sandpaper at no cost from a guy I used to go to church with.  He had a business where he made sanding belts.  He sold his business a couple of years ago and then passed away within a month or so.  I am getting down to very little of the medium grits left and will have to start looking myself.  I found a roll each of 320 and 400 grit J weight cloth backed paper at a local freight salvage place for $20 per roll.  It will likely outlast me.  I use only cloth backed sandpaper due to its durability.
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

misfire

I start at 320 most of the time, unless I mess up with my tools. If I do it right ( which isnt often) I can start at 500
Pray as if everything depends on God, work like everything depends on you

www.misfiregamecalls.net

Bonjour

I usually start at about 180-220 and sand to 600. It might seem like overkill, but when the wood has any sort of figure or character, I believe the smoother you can get, the more figure that will show. I am also a little anal about sanding marks and details such as that so I think that is part of it too.
          Ryan

Stoner

I start with 180 and work up to 600 grit. I finish with EEE-Ultra Shine. EEE-Ultra Shine makes a huge difference in the looks of the finished call.

selinoid44

I agree on the cloth back. I think thats a given, much more quality in the product. Looks like all you guys start with a higher grit paper is that because of the 'gouging' or marking that the heavier grit can create? I know once that happens you work your keester off trying to get those marks out.

'Flush Draw' Calls
Charlie Louthain
574-527-9785

MarkJM

I start with 100 and work my way up to 2000. It works for me :icon_thumright:
MuellerCustomCalls

TRKYHTR

Wow where do you even find 2000? I start with 100 and go to 320. Anybody use a sponge sandpaper? I use it to put my sandpaper on when i'm sanding so it doesn't burn my hand or fingers.

TRKYHTR
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

MarkJM

Quote from: TRKYHTR on February 09, 2011, 10:08:28 AM
Wow where do you even find 2000? I start with 100 and go to 320. Anybody use a sponge sandpaper? I use it to put my sandpaper on when i'm sanding so it doesn't burn my hand or fingers.

TRKYHTR

I get it from a car shop, they use it to sand finish on cars. Works absolutley WONDERS
MuellerCustomCalls

selinoid44

I use the sponge sanding block when I do strikers. I hold it against the striker when I start getting what I refer to as chatter. This keeps it, the striker, from chattering while I'm shaping the narrow stem of the striker. If that makes since.

'Flush Draw' Calls
Charlie Louthain
574-527-9785