OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

REM. 870 SUPER MAG. SHELLS

Started by schief, March 01, 2011, 02:06:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

schief

i have a rem. 870 super mag. 12 ga. with 23" barrel. it can shoot 3 1/2" shells but i was thinking on using 3". to much kick in 3 1/2 for me. anybody shoot the 3" in 3 1/2" gun. thinking about hevi-shot in #6.

Nimrodmar10

schief
I've got the 870 SM also but in a 26". I've shot a lot of 3" shells in it but they were steel shot for waterfowl. No problem with them at all. Patterned just as well as the 3.5s. I don't blame you at all from getting away from the roman candles. I'm thinking about doing the same. Once upon a time we killed a lot of turkeys with a 2 3/4" "High Brass" load of #4s with only about 1 3/8 of shot. Some times I think we get carried away.

mudhen

Really liking 3" H-13 5's & 6's, in my 870 SM 26" MOBL with Jellyhaid .660  :)

Same for my SBE II, which has a newly discovered liking to 3" MB + Jelly .660  ;D

I've been shooting 3.5" for many, many, years, but unless 3" just rolls out the end of my barrel, I'll try to stick to 3", it's just so much more fun to shoot....

mudhen
"Lighten' up Francis"  Sgt Hulka

reynolds243

i shot an 870 super mag for years and used 3" most of the time. Mine actually had a better pattern with the 3" and didnt hurt as much.

shot tons of 3" steel through it, never had any issues with either.

schief

i will be using either the puregold .670 or the truglo SSX .643. will try thr rem sf that came with it. it says for lead shot only but i don't think it will hurt.

Jbird22

I'll be shooting 3" lead through my 870 SM this year for the most part. I may slip a 3.5" H-13 in if I hunt fields but that's about it. Just about everywhere I hunt range is limited to 30-40 yds tops. Recoil is/was not my biggest reason for changing though. The 3" Win Super X's open my pattern up a bit but will still get the job done at 40 if I need them to. They fit my needs best in my opinion.

hookedspur

Quote from: schief on March 01, 2011, 02:53:46 PM
i will be using either the puregold .670 or the truglo SSX .643. will try thr rem sf that came with it. it says for lead shot only but i don't think it will hurt.
:icon_thumright:
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions