North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Prayer request - Starting a Men's group at church

Started by lightsoutcalls, June 25, 2012, 10:04:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lightsoutcalls

Hey guys,
   I just wanted to ask for your prayers as I start up a men's group at church focused around archery and bowhunting.  I wanted to start this group 2 years ago.  Just about the time I started making some contacts and planning to announce the group, my wife and I seperated for 3 months.  That took quite a toll on me.  I went through some life experiences surrounding that situation that were very humbling.  Although I wouldn't wish it on anyone, God used the time to give me some insight that I hope to be able to share with others... possibly through this group. 
   Anyway, I have recently confirmed with GlenDel Targets/Block Targets a trade of some custom calls for a large Block Black target and a Full Rut 3-D buck target for the group.  God has not allowed me to let go of the vision for this group that I feel he planted in my heart 2 years ago.  Our church has small groups that meet at least once per month, but more frequently if they choose.  I am hoping that this group will meet at least every other week, if not every week.  It's hard sometimes to get people interested in shooting in the hot weather, but as those who hunt with a bow know, practice helps instill confidence and assurance in our abilities when the moment of truth comes.  Life is much the same way.  Jesus left us the great commission to go into the world and preach the gospel and make disciples.  Think about it as compared to archery.  If you pick up your bow up on opening morning planning to hit the woods and bag a big buck, having not put in any time drawing, tuning, sighting in your bow...  chances are slim that your hunt will end in success.  Trying to share the Gospel with others without reading God's word, spending time in prayer and asking for the Holy Spirit to provide insight as you go can often end up being about as successful.  This is the focus I hope to bring to this group.

I'd appreciate your prayers for wisdom, insight and preparations for the group.

Thanks,
Wendell
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

Roostem33

My prayers are with you Wendell as you start this new group. Sounds like it will be a very good time and a great way to fellowship.

God bless,
Jody
The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly.(John 10:10)

turkey slayer

Turkey Beard

Prayers sent.  Not only for your small group but for your marriage.  I might recommend "Wild at Heart" as a resource for your group, we've just finished it in my small group.
1UP GAME CALLS - Calls That Put'em On The Wall..
www.1upgamecalls.com

misfire

An outdoor ministry is a great way to spread God's word to a wide variety of people. Once you get established, there is no end to the opportunities. Archery tournaments come to mind. Also, that is a great way to introduce kids to the outdoors and the wonders of Jesus. I will be praying for you and this ministry Wendell. I will also pray for you and your wife, and dont forget that as exciting as this may be, neglecting her will be even easier to do if you lose focus on the home. Be sure to surround yourself with good people who can help and are dependable
Pray as if everything depends on God, work like everything depends on you

www.misfiregamecalls.net

lightsoutcalls

Thanks, guys for your prayers. 
My church has an attendance of around 3,000 between 2 services.  I honestly couldn't tell you the name of a single man there that hunts.  One of the Morrell (Morell Targets) family goes to my church, but I couldn't pick him out in a crowd of 2.  Being a large church has both advantages and disadvantages.  We have a large base of folks to draw from with special interest groups. 
It is my hope and prayer to find guys of like mind, heart and interests by beginning this ministry.  Before even contacting our small group coordinator at church, I reminded my wife of when this idea was conceived in my heart, the events of the months that followed, and the fact that I have never been able to let it go.  She responded that it sounds like I need to pursue it.
I recognize the fact that I will have to be aware of the time that I spend with this group and preparations.  I also know that I will need to make a conscious effort to spend time with my wife and girls and remain aware of their needs.  They are my first call to ministry, and that must remain my primary focus.

Thanks again,
Wendell
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

turkey slayer

wow 3000 thats a crazy, my church might have 450-550 on any given sunday.