OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Federal Flight Control Wad Through Ported Choke

Started by Nimrodmar10, March 01, 2011, 12:18:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nimrodmar10

Trying out a new Truglow SSX Choke in my Benelli SBE II Sunday. Tried several loads and was generaly pleased even though I didn't have Nitros or Hevi 13 Blends to shoot. One of the loads I shot was a Federal Flight Control 3 1/2' 2 oz load of #6s. The pattern didn't do all that bad but had no great center. When I picked up the wad, as I usually do to see what had happened to it in flight I may have found the reason. The forword slanting port acted like cheese graters and shaved off the wad petals on the back end. I had heard that the Flight Control Wads didn't like ported chokes, now I know why.

[attachment deleted by admin]

shootumindaface

The ports in a SSX are not designed for wad stripping.. Its the straight line rifling that is tearing your flight control up

Nimrodmar10

I don't think so Shootum. I could see the lines in the wad from the ridges or rifling. They were not in line with the petals. The petals were actually sliced off in a semicircle shape and size matching the ports. When I checked the ports the leading edge of the ports were very sharp. I think the blossoming out of the petals as they passed the ports shoved the material into the sharp port edges. Of course I could be wrong. :-)

4nolz2

shoot one thru a nonported choke and compare the wads

Nimrodmar10

I did. I shot one of the shells through a Remington 870 Super Mag with a Remington factory Super Full Turkey choke (the one with the knurling on the end). The wad came out clean with the rear petals clean and intact. Unfortunately this gun and choke has never liked the Flight Control Wads. The pattern is just OK. 100% in a 30" circle but no good middle.

4nolz2

can you post a side by side closeup? be intresting to see what federal would say about it.

allaboutshooting

Quote from: Nimrodmar10 on March 01, 2011, 12:46:21 PM
I don't think so Shootum. I could see the lines in the wad from the ridges or rifling. They were not in line with the petals. The petals were actually sliced off in a semicircle shape and size matching the ports. When I checked the ports the leading edge of the ports were very sharp. I think the blossoming out of the petals as they passed the ports shoved the material into the sharp port edges. Of course I could be wrong. :-)

Your analysis was correct. As the Flitecontrol Wad exits the overbored muzzle section, the rear petals expand and contact the ports and they "eat" those petals on the lead wad.

If however you shoot the 1 5/8 oz. or 1 7/8 oz. Heavyweight loads of #7 shot that wad does not flare as much and you don't see that to the extent that you do on the lead Flitecontrol Wad shells. The material used in the Heavyweight Flitecontrol Wad is thicker/heavier and does not flare as much as the other one.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

stinkpickle

Are you taking pictures while you're driving down the highway?   :D

Hognutz

May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

Nimrodmar10

Of course I am Stinkpickle. I was only using one hand and one eye to read the newspaper so it wasn't a problem. :)

Pictures on the way.

Nimrodmar10

Thanks for the input Clark. How do the Fed. Heavyweights pattern in the SSX?

Nimrodmar10

Okay here's a picture of the two wads side by side. One fired through a Remington 870 with a Rem. SF choke ( exit diameter .665") and one fired through a Benelli SBE II with the Truglow SSX tube ( exit diameter .643"). You can see the difference in the rear petals.

Nimrodmar10

Here's another picture of the same wads with a side view. Notice the bend in the wad shot through the SSX.  I wonder if the choke tube also caused this by torqing as one side left the tube first. I found the wad 5 yards from the target and I don't think it hit the target and bounced. This may have been a partial reason for the poorer pattern. Thoughts?

allaboutshooting

Quote from: Nimrodmar10 on March 01, 2011, 01:54:07 PM
Thanks for the input Clark. How do the Fed. Heavyweights pattern in the SSX?

It all depends upon the load. If you shoot the 3" Heavyweight #7 shot, it does surprisingly well for a choke that was not designed with that wad in mind. With larger shot, either lead or Heavyweight, there are several chokes that will shoot much better.

That wad needs about .670 in at least 1" and 1.3" works better of uninterrupted parallel with no ports to do its best...in 12 gauge.

The Wright's #1 was actually designed around that wad after a lot of work with Rochelle Poore, the design engineer with Federal for that shell. It has a crowned muzzle, no ports and the best parallel length that we found (1.3") and a .670 exit diameter.

That shell, again with #7 shot, will also work well in non-ported chokes with an e.d. as tight as .640-.650.

It all depends upon the shot size.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."