turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Mossy 835 "Old School"

Started by Punisher, June 19, 2012, 10:05:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Punisher

I have found one of the older unported 835s in the original Realtree pattern and I am thinking about buying it.  To the people who own, or have owned these older 835s, what is your opinions of these guns?  Can you tell any real difference in performance between these older unported guns and the newer ones as far as patterns and recoil?  Oh by the way, the gun is almost mint ;D.

ILIKEHEVI-13

My buddy had an older 835 probably around 1990.  The one I have is probably a 1998 model.  I thinks his shot just as good as mine.  Mine had ports.  I don't know if his did or not.   

HartClemson99

I was given one as a Christmas gift in '94 and killed my first 15 turkeys with it before buying other turkey guns in the early 2000s.  I sold it and regret it everyday.

It is a hell of a gun.  Pick it up.  You won't be dissapointed.
"I do not hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. I would really rather not do it, but I am helpless in the grip of my compulsion" Tom Kelly, The Tenth Legion, 1973

SKFOOTER

Those older 835's will stomp you just like the newer ones will. :funnyturkey:

dirt road ninja

I've got a early 90's 835 without the ports. The new ones kick just as hard. A buddy bought a new one last year and I weighted both of them unloaded with slings and the older one was a full pound heavier. Patterns are about what and what with his gun beating mine by a few holes.

gobbler74

Quote from: SKFOOTER on June 19, 2012, 11:29:14 PM
Those older 835's will stomp you just like the newer ones will. :funnyturkey:

No denying it.

The gun would be worth @ 300 in killer condition, 200 if good lookin. There is also a mossy oak shadow branch older model to keep an eye out for.   Good Luck
"Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail"

sippy cup

they also had one in original mossy oak treestand my uncle has one :newmascot:
beware of longdale legend

bigredneck61088

Buy it, shoot it, and post pics! I love those old school camo jobs, wish someone would offer the films so i could get my sx2 done

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

allaboutshooting

Quote from: Punisher on June 19, 2012, 10:05:35 PM
I have found one of the older unported 835s in the original Realtree pattern and I am thinking about buying it.  To the people who own, or have owned these older 835s, what is your opinions of these guns?  Can you tell any real difference in performance between these older unported guns and the newer ones as far as patterns and recoil?  Oh by the way, the gun is almost mint ;D.

It's a good idea to look a the bore in those early guns. Some were very rough and some were just fine.

I had one of the very early ones that had a lot of machine marks and chatter in it. They were far too deep and numerous for anything but a professional full bore honing to remove. The newer guns seem to have much smoother bores.

I don't think you'll find any difference in the ported and non-ported barrels except the ported barrel is somewhat louder and may pick up some debris, plastic, etc. after having been shot a few times.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

Old Gobbler

I had one of the first ones when they came out , I gave it away to a friend who had no turkey gun and needed it - it sported a 28 inch barrel - black and green camo

That gun was a straight up turkey killer , and far superior to any other turkey gun I had owned at the time  - Im not a gun hoarder , but I wish I still had it - the only thing is man it would kick me hard -one time I thought it had broken my shoulder , I remember my finger tips going numb after shooting it -  there wasn't much of a forcing cone on those guns but I remember mine looking real rough  

for the price , they are hard to beat -  
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

surehuntsalot

I had one that I bought new in 1990,I sure regret selling it
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

lowoctane

I have one and it flat shoots! Going to go down to 3" Hevi this season cause they're a bit cheaper and I personally think the 3.5" is overkill. AND, the 3" is easier on my shoulder! Haven't patterned it as yet, but am confident that it will do great. Listen to what Clark says, too!
         :funnyturkey:
I'm Old School...
GOD, GUTS AND GUNS
MADE AMERICA GREAT,
LET'S KEEP ALL THREE!
NRA Endowment
NAHC Life

davisd9

In the turkey woods, an 835 is hard to beat!
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

Tail Feathers

Someone mentioned one in MO Shadow Branch.  Mine is a 2000 or 2001 and it sports the long defunct RealTree 20/200 pattern.  Mine has the ports.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

jblackburn

Mine is from 1997 or so and is the Viking Grade.  It is the ugliest gun in the world, but it is a shooter!  I have killed every one of my gun turkeys with it.
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.