turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

20 gauge single-shot project gun

Started by gobblergls, June 12, 2012, 11:22:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michigander

That's awesome, good for you! Sweet little gun too.

Crockrj

Great looking guns and those rigs are Stone Cold Killers!!!  :drool: Congrats on the birds as well.

Chuck1443

gobblergls

Here's GWA's Baikal after being dipped by Wet Geared Graphics of Dublin, GA.  Nice looking gun, Denny.  The gun has been fully "Sumtoyed".

gobblergls

I've had inquiries on the Yildiz .410 gun #2 and a Sumtoy sleeved choke: go here for results:
http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php/topic,36710.0.html

gobblergls

It is time to wake up the dead thread with a new project.  A buddy has retired and whether he knows it or not, needs a 20 gauge.   I may give him the completed gun and rig the new one for me.  It, too, has been fully Sumtoyed (thanks, again, William).  These Russian Baikal MP-18's may be a thing of the past with the problems in the Ukraine and embargo.  I bought a youth model from Cheapterthandirt this summer and had to return it to the importer because the forend wouldn't fit.  They elected to replace it with the adult model which was fine with me as it is an ejector and has a plastic stock.  The Youth Model has wooden stock and forend and is an extractor only.  Weighed as depicted in the photo is 5 lbs., 5 oz.  I had William trim the barrel so that the length as finished to the end of choke is 24".  The other gun as finished is 28".   I thought about having the new gun dipped, but the rattle-can job has really held up well.  And it is easily repairable.   I found an online discussion from an auto paint-body shop man who gives great advice on rattle-can painting.  The big points are attention to preparation and allowing the paint to cure for at least a month (if you can) before use.  Here's what he had to say:
"Thanks for answering my question and I'll explain why I asked you. I'm a bodyman/painter by trade, I've been doing it for about 20 years. I've mainly made my living doing custom work like airbrushing, handlettering, pinstriping and graffics. Bikes, brain buckets, boats, etc. I experimented A LOT with different types of paints over the years for different types of appilcations. I'm telling this about myself so you don't think I'm some Joe-Blow giving bad advise about paint, which I see plenty of on this forum. So when ever I see someone having a paint related problem, I usually like to chime in and give my two bits.

I've never used Rustoluim BBQ paint myself, but what happened to your paint job I don't really think can be blamed on the paint itself. I'm assuming that the BBQ paint is probably an enamel based product and when it was fully dried it would have stood up to giving it a quick wipe down with oil. I think you just did it too soon, the oil started breaking down the paint and interrupted the drying/curing process. That's probably why it continued to leave black on your hands for days after.

I'll give you guys a little painting 101. There basically two types of paint out there, one-part and two-part paints. One part-paint is a paint that dries through evaporation; the one-part means there is nothing to add to it, the one-part is the paint itself. Two-part paints cure through a chemical reaction, they have to have an activator(also known as hardener or catalyst) to make them cure. The first-part is the paint and the second-part is the activator. One-part and two-parts apply to all paints weather it is latex, laquer, enamels, urethanes or epoxys. Two-part paints with be more durable in the long run and will be highly solvent resistant compared to one-part paints. Notice I said one dries and one cures...

But not everyone wants or is going to spray two part-paints, esp when spray bombs are quick, easy and cheap. But I'll give you guys a few pointers to make spray bomb paint fairly durable.

I noticed a few people were saying that Rusty brand BBQ scratches easily and flakes off. I'm guessing people are spraying it over bare metal, even if the directions say you can, it's probably not a good idea. As far a I know, there is no true DTM(direct to metal) paint on the market in a spray can. You have to get into two-part paints for a true DTM paint, even then it's not always 100% it's not going to flake off. Check out local auto-body supply stores and look for metal-etching primer in the spray can, it's usually farily cheap and it goes a long way.

Here are some simple steps to make sure your paint job will turn out great.

1-Degrease. Do this as many times as nessecary, also never let the degreaser dry. Wipe the excess off or blow off with compressed air.
2- Scuff/sand areas really well.
3-Blow off with compressed air; if you don't have an air compressor, compressed air in a can works very well(the stuff from computer stores).
4-Tack surface
5-Etch prime all bare metal.
6-Spray paint according to diections.
7-Let it become dry to the touch.

The last step is the hardest step of all, but simply put...KEEP YOUR HANDS OFF IT FOR 2-3 WEEKS, even better a month. I know this part is espially hard when you just got done building your new gun. Even two-part paints take 3-4 weeks to FULLY cure. I like to paint snowmobile hoods during the summer and bike tanks during the winter, it gives the paint time to fully cure and give the customer their moneys worth. But it is the hardest thing to get through to my customers; when it gets all nice and warm, that's when everyone wants their bikes painted."

gobblergls

Finally got a round 'toit with the new Baikal MP-18.  I applied a Duracoat two-part paint, Tactical Dark Earth, with one of the "shake and spray" kits.  After letting it cure for a week, I dropped the stock section, action down, and dinged metal just where the forend hits the action.  I left stock and forend as is without painting. This is this season's gun in addition to the .410 single-shot Yildiz. 

turkey buster

One of the coolest threads I've read through on here

jordanz7935

Man that dura coat turned out nice! Looks good with the synthetic stock! If i didnt have a wood stock id definately give the dura coat a try on mine. What kind of patterns are you getting with your new baikal?

gobblergls

For one of the few times in my life I am going to follow instructions.  Duracoat cautions to let it cure for several weeks before heavy use.  I'll pattern it a little later and let you know.  :)  I'll start the season with the .410.  Gil

gobblergls

Sumtoy .5625 choke, 24" to end of choke.   1 5/16 oz. TSS 9's, 40 yards.  Gotta like the point of impact and aim.  Little too tight for me with poor 10-20" ring.  259/99.  Shot about 10 dove loads with it without cleaning just before taking this zero shot.  Had to shoot a bunch of dove loads as FFIII bottomed out and had to shim back end several times with Coke can strips.   

gobblergls

Today, I stayed with the same  choke, but shot the load un-buffered.  While tungsten shot doesn't hold an out of round shape on setback for but a split second, it still benefits from filler to cushion and help reduce temporary "boing-boing" effect, going out of round, before returning to round as it leaves the barrel (I suppose).  In other words, buffer tightens loads that otherwise wouldn't be as tight.  Anyhow, here's the same load as above un-buffered.  For my purposes, it is a better hunting load with a more forgiving edge pattern than above.
128/189, 1 5/16 oz.

gobblergls

Well, it works.  No, that's not a bantam emu.  Bird lost his tailfeathers when I clumsily stepped on his tail when he flopped.  Last Friday Russian gun shoots American Wild Turkey with Red Chinese tungsten shot which sounds more like an international incident than a turkey hunt. This was first blood with the gun and homemade rivercane yelper.  Bud's Guns is selling the MP-18 20 gauge once again. 

gobblergls

For every door that closes, another opens.  This guy closed my season Wednesday, but the door to indoor plumbing, mosquito free living and sleep past sunrise re-opened.  This is the third public land bird called in with my homemade rivercane yelper in the last 12 days.  Two shot, one clean miss.  A swamp bird, and is as wet as a drowned rat.  Came within 25 steps, with 3 gangsta' jakes who were pleased to see him hit the deck, but maybe not as much as I.  This MP-18 has become my "big gun" for turkey hunting.

lowoctane

:morning:

GREAT THREAD!   :camohat:
I'm Old School...
GOD, GUTS AND GUNS
MADE AMERICA GREAT,
LET'S KEEP ALL THREE!
NRA Endowment
NAHC Life