OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Shipping a mount

Started by Turkey Beard, June 07, 2012, 10:04:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Turkey Beard

My son-in-law is a taxidermist.  My wife and I had planned on travelling to Colorado and meeting my brother (from Utah) there to deliver a mule deer mount to him.  The trip has fallen through and now my son-in-law needs to ship the mount to him.  Shipping it by itself wouldn't be a big deal, but he has added some really nice "habitat" to the deer and is concerned about it being damaged in shipping.  If anyone has some suggestions, I'd sure appreciate it.  To give you an idea of what it looks like, it's on his website (I hope this isn't prohibited to post this link and, if it is, I apologize in advance), go to

www.ozark-forest.com

and look at the "What's New" tab.  It should be the 4th picture that scrolls (you can hover over it and it'll stop).  It's the only mulie and the text references Tracy Otterness.  Thanks!
1UP GAME CALLS - Calls That Put'em On The Wall..
www.1upgamecalls.com

Turkey Beard

I appreciate the reply, 2ounce6s.  I had a recommendation that he build a 1X frame inside a cardboard box and line one side with plywood and attach the mount to the plywood (as if it was the wall), then fill with foam peanuts.  He's most worried about the "habitat."  Thanks again!
www.1upgamecalls.com

Timberland Taxidermy

Quote from: Turkey Beard on June 10, 2012, 11:45:40 PM
I appreciate the reply, 2ounce6s.  I had a recommendation that he build a 1X frame inside a cardboard box and line one side with plywood and attach the mount to the plywood (as if it was the wall), then fill with foam peanuts.  He's most worried about the "habitat."  Thanks again!

That is what I would do. I would use 2x2's for the frame however. When I'm shipping a mount with habitat I usually make the habitat removable and ship it separate, but if it can't be removed then you will have to crate it with the deer.

Turkey Beard

Thank you so much, TT, especially for the idea on the 2X2.  Can't be too careful...
www.1upgamecalls.com

Turkey Beard

Thanks for the reply, gb83.  Yes, he has already shipped.  He ended up making the crate out of 2X4's and used shipping peanuts.  I don't know if he mounted it to the plywood or not.  Need to hear back from my brother on whether it arrived or not!  Thanks again to all!!!
www.1upgamecalls.com