turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Competition Target

Started by allaboutshooting, June 03, 2012, 03:58:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

allaboutshooting

Here's a picture of a witnessed target that was shot in sanctioned still target competition last weekend at the "Timber Shoot" in Abbeville, SC.

You can see by the target that I was in position (seat) #1 and that my 3" score was 39. (Only the hits in the red part of the circle that do not touch the outer black line count.) That turned out to be the highest score of the day.

We later counted the number of hits in the 10" circle and as you can see, that was 212. When we turned the target over and looked at the back side, there was 3" circle with 44 hits, just below and to the left of the center.

All shots in sanctioned competition are 40 yards from the muzzle of the gun to the target and are shot without mechanical support, sitting on a lowboy stool, very much like a turkey hunting position.

The shell was a 3" Hevi-13 "Bronze" shell with 2 oz. of #6 shot and the choke was a Rem-Choke SSX.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

captin_hook

Looks great Clark. I'm going to mess around with my ssx now that my season is over here in pa.

allaboutshooting

Quote from: captin_hook on June 03, 2012, 04:01:39 AM
Looks great Clark. I'm going to mess around with my ssx now that my season is over here in pa.

Thank you. I had pretty similar targets all day. The "challenge" is of course centering the pellets in that little red circle.

Clark

R AJ

Clark,
Great numbers for #6 shot and to get that hot a center with good coverage around it , wow. Thanks for showing this. Looks like a 3" shell is very capable of gettin' it done.

allaboutshooting

Thank you all. I really should have saved a few of the targets I shot. My gun was shooting to the left and it took a couple of shots for me to convince myself of that. I thought I was probably just pulling off the target. I had some patterns to the left of center on some targets that would have easily been 50+ in 3" almost anywhere in the pattern.

That 3" shell with #6 shot is an amazing load.

Thanks,
Clark

gobblingghost

Is there a restriction on the types of sights that can be used.

allaboutshooting

Quote from: gobblingghost on June 03, 2012, 04:22:47 PM
Is there a restriction on the types of sights that can be used.

No. Any type of sight may be used in any of the classes. Most shooters use some type of telescopic sight.

In 2009, I shot all year with a BPS with Truglo Magnum Gobble-Dot "Pro-Series" open sights and ended up winning the world championship using them. As far as I can determine, that's the only time that's happened.

Open sights do put you at a distinct disadvantage when shooting at a 3" circle 40 yards from the muzzle of your gun. That's a very small target at that distance.

Thanks,
Clark

hunter-b

surehuntsalot

it's not the harvest,it's the chase

joeculb

vaturkey

Congrats Clark !  That's an awesome target !   :icon_thumright:

vaturkey   :newmascot:
Vaturkey

allaboutshooting

Thank you all for the positive comments.

Clark

WyoHunter

If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!

chatterbox

Well done, Clark!
I wouldn't want to be a turkey on the recieving end of that pattern! :icon_thumright:

Grunt-N-Gobble

Thats great shooting!!!

I would like to get my hands on some of those targets, but I haven't been able to locate any.  Anyone know where I could get a few??