turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Pauls Calls - Questions for current owners

Started by Dan Smith, June 02, 2012, 02:30:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan Smith

If you could only purchase one of Albert Paul's box calls, which one would you purchase  for a good all-around call including the type of wood you would recommend?

I'm looking to add one box call to my arsenal this year.  I'm looking for a well-balanced all around box call to be used for both locating and calling.

I understand I can call Albert, but before I do, I want to hear from all of you on your recommendations on which model you have, and the types of wood you went with and why.

Thanks in advance.

Dan

tomanyturkeycalls

I have a walnut/mahogany box from albert ... it is a excellent sounding call.... when I talked to albert he told me he would make it with a medium hen sound...it has some good rasp also... He also told me that his walnut/cedar has alot of rasp an recommended it for a older hen sound...and his walnut poplar for a young hen sound... albert said he carries these three calls alot.. no matter what you get they will sound great.. I am sure alot of people will chime in here...I need to get these other two for myself also... good luck....on what every you get..

M Sharpe

I'll second that walnut over mahogany. I've got one and love it. It has a mature hen on the right and a little younger sounding hen on the left, the way a box should be made.
I'm not a Christian because I'm strong and have it all together. I'm a Christian because I'm weak and admit I need a Saviour!

nyhunter

I have a walnut side, Maple lid and bottom call from Albert. It sound's very good but it's a little unforgiving, I am sending it back and he is gonna see if he can do anything with it . This is free when you buy one of Albert"s call's he will make sure it sounds just the way you want it to. I am also going to buy a new call and it  will be walnut/ mahogany or walnut/poplar, or if I can work it I'll have both. I'm looking for a high pitched front and medium rasp with a distinct 2 not yelp, and a cluck and cut that really pop your ear drum when you run it.

TRKYHTR

I have a lot of box calls and 15 of them are Albert Pauls. Out of all the calls I have  2 of his are in my top 4. One is an all walnut call and the other is a Walnut and Poplar. That said he mada a Mahogany and walnut for my son that sounds as good or better than all of them. I don't think you can go wrong with any of those 3 combos.

TRKYHTR
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

CallDr

A lot of the sound comes from the combinations of the woods used to produce a certain turkey "voice'. It's  often the woods used, as or more than the tuning.

I have found that west of the mississippi hunting Rio's and Merriams that a higher or keener pitch works great. Up North the high/medium and the Southern states the medium/low. Have no proof other than my own experience.

I have owned over 20 of Alberts calls and played everyone he would take to the shows of many combinations. The extreme range is the butternut/walnut lid to the snakewood lid / holly for example.

Persimmon and Chinaberry are 2 I like a lot. All the so called traditional ( common) woods are great. Mahogany, Cedar,Poplar,Walnut and Butternut. You can't go wrong with any of those.

www.wildtalker.com

jshively

Just to throw something different out there - I have a Sassafras and Cherry box that Albert made for me in 06.  It has a medium tone that is raspy with a crisp break - and the birds here in Virgnia and North Carolina seem to like it a lot as well.  Also bought the leather pouch he sells for the boxes - to me it is a must have -it helps protect the call from moisture and getting beat up while hunting.

Purrfect

Hey Dan,funny you asked that question.I just received my Paul call yesterday.It really is a nice call,Field Grade.I had Albert make the Walnut lid and bottom and the box is Mahogany.Sounds great with a little rasp.I called him to let him know it arrived in great shape and in the course of our conversation he gave me a tip i never heard before.he said at the end of the season to lightly rub off the chalk from the underside of the lid because it has the tendency to draw moisture.He told me to call him any time if i have problems or need to know anything.Super individual to talk to with super service.He also told me that Neil  :turkey2:Cost told him years ago that it was easy to make a box call.All ya got to do is when your carving to throw out the wood that doesn,t sound like turkey,LOL.

gwa

I have 3 of Albert's calls in poplar, sassafras and chinaberry all with walnut lids. When I carried one of these calls it was normally the poplar. A lot depended on how the call sounded when trying them out before the hunt.

Denny

marshboy

No expert here, but I have a walnut/mahogany box from Mr. Paul, and it is pure turkey...I love it. 
One of those all walnut calls intrigues me, however.
Greg

Poplar box/Walnut lid and bottom.It has the best sound call after call to me.

oliverharrelson

I have a poplar and butternut with walnut and they both sound great.

ncturkey

I heard a snakewood lid / holly box call being played on the phone the other night.  It sounded awesome. I played a Canarywood lid and Poplar box of Paul's in nashville at the convention and it sounded great.