turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Turkey Shy!

Started by guesswho, February 28, 2011, 07:10:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wisconsinteacher

When I started out, I called all the time and nothing happened.  This was because, I was calling while they were on the limb.  From that, I went "shy" and killed a few birds.  Now I am less shy and do a lot better.  I need to learn to get closer to birds that are on the limb so I can be the first "hen" they want to see.  What helped me was hunting with others and letting them hear my calling and saying that it was good enough to kill birds.  Up until that, I did not know if I sounded good or not.

guesswho

Quote from: Rio Fan on February 23, 2012, 02:36:44 PM

Quote from: guesswho on February 28, 2011, 07:51:44 PM
I finally told him to fall in behind me or sit there and I'd go kill the turkey.

Well, did you kill that turkey?

Yes the turkey died.  He followed my lead and he's the one who pulled the trigger about an hour later. 
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Ty

i like to get within 80 yards, if not i dont feel like ive hunted him, your going to bust birds

cahaba

I will move on a bird in a minute if I feel I need to. Yea I get busted sometimes but I also kill birds that may not have been killed without the move.
Turkeys may not be call shy but older gobblers sure are wary. They are a different animal than a 2yr. old. Occasionally they do something out of character.