turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Turkey Shy!

Started by guesswho, February 28, 2011, 07:10:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jcarter

I'm very turkey shy. I even go so far as to wear camo in the woods so they don't see me. ;)

redleg06

TTT

I was searching around for another old post and saw this one from last year and thought it was worth bumping to the top...

ground control

The difference between a rookie and a veteran is that the rookie is afraid he's going to make mistakes and the veteran KNOWS he's going to make mistakes. I'm somewhere in between. I know I'm going to do it, but still apprehensive about it. A bird can't get spooked by nothing, and likewise he can't die by it either.
"Ground Control to Major Tom: Your circuit's dead, there's something wrong. Can you hear me Major Tom?"

deerhunt1988

Very good thread. I know several people who are "turkey shy". I have one particular good friend who thought I called too much and was too aggressive when setting up on birds. These are heavily hunted public land birds too. After he hunted with me a few times,saw the results of my aggressive tactics, he became less turkey shy. ha.

I will move A LOT when I am on a bird if he is being stingy. If I am pretty sure I can get away with moving closer, I will do it. If he is one of those birds that like to walk back and forth and not come in.. I will move up each time he turns another direction..  Just don't call as you are moving up or the bird may not walk back into his comfort zone...And I don't consider this bush whacking...He knows where you originally called from, that is why he is doing what nature intended...Waiting for the hen to come to him..

I also will make wide sweeps around vocal birds that are playing hard to get. If they keep gobbling, I will come in behind him as close as I can, opposite the direction I last called.. Then a lot of times all it takes is a few clucks to kill him. But then again there are times when he gobbles from your initial setup after you take the time to cautiously sneak around. But more times than not, in the situations I employ this tactic, the former wins.

I do bump a couple birds a season, but that is a risk I take. It is not the end of the world, he will be there the next day to play.

Quote from: lmbhngr on March 02, 2011, 08:39:33 PM
I hunted the same bird for more than a week straight. Shot the one he was hangin with got a fistful of feathers. From that day forward both birds would gobble on the limb; pitch down walk the opposite direction from where I was. I switch my calls every day. Mid May here is full foliage on the trees; maybe they gobbled to let the hens know where they were. They didn`t roost together. I know when I would leave they would be in the field with the hens. Another spot we hunt middle of May you`re lucky to get a tom to answer your calls but you drive by the farm at dusk they`re in the fields. Both spots get hunted ALOT! These birds get called to alot that`s why I always switch up my calls.

I would have called, then high tailed it and got in the opposite direction of where you initially called.

ccleroy

Quote from: Jay on February 28, 2011, 07:25:07 PM
;D I think you are bored. I get busted just about every year, but not Turkey shy. Ticked off more than anything. Stinken silent birds.

You keep getting busted because you haven't camo'd your power chair yet! Bwahahahahaha

cahaba

Hang around deerhunt. This subject comes up often.  BlahBlahBlah

chatterbox

Quote from: ccleroy on February 22, 2012, 12:09:32 AM
Quote from: Jay on February 28, 2011, 07:25:07 PM
;D I think you are bored. I get busted just about every year, but not Turkey shy. Ticked off more than anything. Stinken silent birds.

You keep getting busted because you haven't camo'd your power chair yet! Bwahahahahaha
:TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny:

WildTigerTrout

When I first started turkey hunting I guess I was kind of shy. I think because I really did not know what I was doing and did'nt want to mess it up. I would call very conservative. As my experiences grew I became a run and gun type hunter. Now when I hear a gobbler sound off I'm on him and let the chess game begin! I have gotten ALOT more aggressive with time.
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

TauntoHawk

not turkey shy at all, over aggressive at times but not shy.

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

hoyt

I don't tote around a turkey vest full of calls just to cluck once ever hr or so.

Rockhound

my dads the worst in the world about not gettin to the the birds if they fly off the roost and go the other direction in his mind the hunt is over. Im glad i learnt my own methods of turkey hunting and adapted my own style cuz turkey hunting gets boring 30 min a morning lol im not downing my father because he has been such a good mentor to me. and because of him i learned how to turkey hunt i just had to teach myself how to hunt from 8 o clock til dark

FullChoke

We had a guy in our club who was so shy about calling to a turkey, he would sit down against a tree and just hold up a card every 15 minutes that had "yelp, yelp, yelp" printed on it. No kidding, Dick Kirby wrote it, so he know it would work.

He killed turkeys every year doing that.

:gobble:

FullChoke

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

cscott

This topic is funny!!!!!!!!!!!turkey shy

deadhead

:z-winnersmiley:
Quote from: hoyt on February 22, 2012, 10:34:44 PM
I don't tote around a turkey vest full of calls just to cluck once ever hr or so.
just remember they are big chickens.

Rio Fan

I finally told him to fall in behind me or sit there and I'd go kill the turkey.
[/quote]

Well, did you kill that turkey?