turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Turkey Shy!

Started by guesswho, February 28, 2011, 07:10:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

guesswho

Is there such a thing as turkey shy hunters?  Some claim that their are call shy birds that are afraid of calls.   Do you think there are some hunters who are afraid of turkeys?  What I mean is do you think there are some hunters who are so afraid of getting busted by a turkey that they are afraid to really try and kill one?  Afraid to call, go to the bird, get within 80 yards, ect....
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

OLE RASPY

Ill do whatever it takes to kill him.Ive spooked them before and im sure ill do it again.Always learning from my mistakes.Im not scared. :lol:

:popcorn:

Jay

;D I think you are bored. I get busted just about every year, but not Turkey shy. Ticked off more than anything. Stinken silent birds.

chatterbox

Quote from: Jay on February 28, 2011, 07:25:07 PM
;D I think you are bored. I get busted just about every year, but not Turkey shy. Ticked off more than anything. Stinken silent birds.
All you can do after that Jay is pick yourself up, change your depends, and climb right back in that hoverround! :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:

guesswho

;D I think you are bored.
;D  Was it that obvious?

I've hunted with some folks that were ok until they heard one gobble, then they just fell apart and was afraid to do anything.  I was standing there one morning with a guy I hadn't hunted with before and we were on his property.    He talked a good game leading up to the hunt.  Even while we were standing there listening for that first gobble I was thinking cuz seems like he knows whats going on.  Then a bird gobbled, the guy bent over, half spread his arms out with his gun in one hand and started going in circles looking for a place to sit down.  He looked like a crashing airplane going down.   I asked him if he was going to be alright.  He said a bird gobbled right there!  I said yeah, right there about four hundred yards.  He was afraid to go to the bird.  I finally told him to fall in behind me or sit there and I'd go kill the turkey.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Jay

I only go into shock when the sucker gobbles from the tree I'm sitting under ;D

harvester

Quote from: chatterbox on February 28, 2011, 07:34:37 PM
All you can do after that Jay is pick yourself up, change your depends, and climb right back in that hoverround! :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:
:TooFunny: :TooFunny:

shootumindaface

Thats me Guesswho.. I dont dare advance on a gobbler in fear of bumping him either know the risk is greater than the reward.. And lord knows, I am conservative on calling in fear I may mess a not up and he hear it.. Heck after them types of instances I write them gobblers off until a different year.. They have been educated 8)

knightrider

if one gobbles at me im running for that flat edge of the earth :turkey2: :TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny:

paladin

Educated birds are a myth.
I have seen birds run from seeing two hunters and killed it within an hour.
We follow the bird for about 150 yards, set up and called him back to be killed.
I have bumped birds off the roost, come back the next morning and called them off that roost to kill them.
I have had birds come in to a box call,see me, leave and come in to the same call on the same day.
I have seen a gobbler come to the sound of nails being pulled from a tin roof and walk into a deer camp.

As far as being "turkey shy" ..there have been a time or two when due to the lay of the land I had know idea how to get to a bird without spooking him.
"have gun-will travel"

duckaholic25

Quote from: paladin on March 01, 2011, 08:42:47 AM
As far as being "turkey shy" ..there have been a time or two when due to the lay of the land I had know idea how to get to a bird without spooking him.
:z-winnersmiley:
I have had this happen several times.
  He looked like a crashing airplane going down.    :TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny:

reynolds243

if you aint spooking a few you aint trying lol

I dont know about SHY but I know a few guys that are scared to screw it up which when its all said and done they dont get a shot off because they ended up being to timid. The main thing i learned along the way was to

A) get a game plan together quickly and as soon as you do start making a plan B and C incase they are needed
B) get as close as you can and if you happen to screw it up learn from it and try not to make the same mistake twice. 

ericjames

Quote from: Jay on February 28, 2011, 07:55:36 PM
I only go into shock when the sucker gobbles from the tree I'm sitting under ;D
me too!

stinkpickle

Ya gotta get real close...or you won't be able to shoot 'em off the limb.  That .243 ammo is getting expensive.

willy8457

My dad told me that if you don't bump a couple birds a year your not gettng close enough.  And just  cause  you bump him doesn'tmean you can call him back , move in the direction he flew , set up let things quiet back down  and start calling. It's not like he flew to the next county. He'll do the same thing he did the day before, and will be looking for hens.  Some times seperating him from his hens isn't a bad thing.