OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Albert Paul's Box calls question??

Started by DUCKDIGGLER, May 28, 2012, 09:18:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DUCKDIGGLER

I hope everyone is having a great holiday weekend and thinking of those who have made sacrifices so we all remain free! :smiley-patriotic-flagwaver-an

I have an Albert Paul box call that Mr. Albert made for me back in 2005 it is poplar and walnut.....super sexy call and I think it's time for a new one. I am looking for more of a "young" hen sounds a bit higher and "cleaner" sounding. My question to you fine gentlemen is what wood combo or combos should I be looking at to achieve that sound.

I appreciate your input!

Diggy

Arrowhead

I'd say give ole Mr Paul a call and have hime play you some over the phone. Mohogany might work for you.

letinmfly

There are numerous wood combos that will work for what you are looking for.  I would recommend that you narrow your choice of good callmakers and speak to them and tell them what you are looking for.  They can guide you in the right direction.  Any good callmaker will be able to tune a call to your liking.
Captain of the former Gobble Kings

TRKYHTR

I agree with arrowhead. Give Albert a call and ask him his advice on the sound you are looking for. He's only been making calls for about 30 years or so. And if you don't hear anything you like you will still enjoy your conversation with him. Good luck,

TRKYHTR
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

shadetree callers

Order yourself an all-walnut boxcall from Albert . It's his personal favorite combo and the harder wood makes for a higher pitch sound .

Spring Creek Calls

I believe that high, sweet sound can be accomplished with either a walnut over sassafras or cherry over butternut long box. Shadetree's idea on the all walnut would also be good.

:smiley-patriotic-flagwaver-an

2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com

He gets a good clear sound out of the cedar and walnut calls.But he can tune any of them the way you want it.

CallDr

Most of the time Albert puts the High Pitched side on the Left and Low on the right. Which is needed so you can make good gobbles too. I assume by young hen you mean higher pitched? But don't understand by "cleaner"? Is that less rasp or softer?

Chinaberry with Walnut Lid is one I would give a listen to. If you are looking to tone it down.... see if he has any Juniper left ( with walnut lid ).

If you like to run the Right side which is higher pitched, have him switch the screw to the other end.

www.wildtalker.com

gwa

I have one of Albert's Chinaberrys with walnut lid, I reach for it over my poplar or sassafras but it is not what I would call "clean" though.

Denny

DUCKDIGGLER

Great stuff guys....thank you all so much for your input.....please keep it coming!

I guess by cleaner I mean not as much rasp on the front end.....rasp is fine on the back end. The call I have now is sort of medium I guess and does not really have a tremendous break.......it is however all turkey though ....and yes the higher pitch is on the left on the call I have now and that works just fine for me but that is a great suggestion to someone who has an affinity to running the opposite side. 

I hope I am describing it right.

Thanks again guys!

CallDr

I just got through talking to Albert and he suggests a Cedar with Walnut. I just played all my callers and I think that is what you are looking for..... ?

www.wildtalker.com

DUCKDIGGLER

Thank you Call Dr!

I'll give Mr. Albert a call this week.

mudhen

Quote from: shadetree callers on May 28, 2012, 11:55:50 AM
  Order yourself an all-walnut boxcall from Albert . It's his personal favorite combo and the harder wood makes for a higher pitch sound .

X2

My all waynut is one of my favorite calls  ;D

mudhen
"Lighten' up Francis"  Sgt Hulka

DUCKDIGGLER

Mudhen......that's a damn fine looking call......how would you describe the  sound?

mudhen

Clean with a higher pitch.  It was made for Cali & Nebraska hybrids.  Albert has hunted the exact same area I have in Nebraska, and he made that call based on his observations in the field.

Works well in the wind, and can be brought down for close in work.

Of course, the best solution is to have 10-12 of his calls, and I'm hoping to get to that point soon  ;D

Just call him.  He'll take care of you.  If you don't like it, he'll rework it.  I have zero worries about buying his calls, no matter the price....

mudhen
"Lighten' up Francis"  Sgt Hulka