OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

nikon red dot

Started by mr perfect, May 26, 2012, 08:55:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mr perfect

i tried a new nikon red dot natchez shooters supply this year it is awsome really like it .

decoykrvr

I've hunted w/ two of the older model Nikon VSDs for about 8 years.  I noticed where the new scopes have MOAs of 1, 4, 6, 8, and 10.  I would have never imagined when I bought the scopes that I would adjust the brightness/intensity and MOA with the frequency that I do during the course of the day.  I'm a firm believer in the old addage, "you get what you pay for" and the Nikon scope delivers a clear, clean, sharp image which is distoration free even on the margins of the lens which obviates the need to be perfectly aligned w/ the scope.  In my experience, "if the dots on the head, he's dead."  In actuality, I usually place the dot on the wattles.

obro

Hey decoykrvr what gun did you have them on ? I heard some of the earlier models had some issues with heavy recoiling guns.

decoykrvr

I've got the Nikon VSD red dot scopes mounted on an Ithaca Model 37, Turkeyslayer, !2 gauge, 3" and a New England Firearms 10 gauge single shot.  I've put over 300 rounds of 3" turkey loads through the Ithaca both hunting and patterning/ evaluating various load and choke combinations.  The 10 gauge has had @ 50 turkey loads put through it w/ no apparent shift in the POI even though it kicks like a mule.  I've got modified Beartooth comb raising kits on both guns which really makes a difference in the alignment of the eye to the red dot scope and the subsequent "felt recoil".  I've also got a Burris Speed Dot, but prefer the Nikon VSD.  I usually start the morning w/ the scope set on 1 MOA and the brightness set down several notches, as the day lightens I move up to the 4 MOA and increase the brightness.  I want to be able to readily see and pickup the red dot w/ no "red haze" around the dot which you will get w/ a dot which is too large or bright under low light conditions.