OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Something about lead...

Started by TheSportsman, February 28, 2011, 11:04:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheSportsman

Man I know that the HTL loads are great....but theres just something I still love about a ol copper plated lead load.... Taken a many a longbeard wit the stuff....  May shoot some this next week on paper- heck may even hunt with them some, esp in the woods....

R AJ

They certainly haven't developed any additional armour since the 60s,and chokes and lead shells have improved greatly since then. Seems logical that lead will still take them just as it used to and at a greater distance than we were used to shooting them.

With the 12 gauge I could care less if it is lead or HTL. With the 20 I prefer the HTL but would definitely put a lead shell in there if it meant not going hunting.

The tighter the choke and heavier the lead the closer they seem to come in - Go Figure!

Kylongspur88

Leads cheap, and in the woods where I hunt the ranges are ok for lead.

stinkpickle

It is a lot more fun to spend an afternoon playing around at $0.80 per trigger pull instead of $4.00.   ;)

dawei

Quote from: stinkpickle on February 28, 2011, 02:57:21 PM
It is a lot more fun to spend an afternoon playing around at $0.80 per trigger pull instead of $4.00.   ;)
I certainly agree w/you. (It's amazing how smart we are isn't it!)

David

Only two defining forces ever died for you.
1. Jesus Christ.
2. The American Soldier, Sailor, Airman, and Marine.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

1Cross+3Nails=4Given

mossy835

I have to agree with you on the lead it is what I grew up on. I migrated to the HM loads because of the areas now where we can not shoot lead (I only hunt pheasant and turkey) because of the water fowl using the same area. I too like the lower cost of lead and dislike steel shot. If they get the prices down Classic doubles is slightly ahead of lead and I can shoot it anywhere but the cost is there. If I shoot 7 rounds and bag 6 pheasants I could care less but at the range no way sight in only for non lead.