Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

SBEII Shooters- 24" vs 26"Does your SBE POI match POA?

Started by TheSportsman, February 28, 2011, 10:56:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheSportsman

Hey guys-

Im still really considering one of these things... I love buying guns. Its just a hobby and its fun.  I own several shotguns as it is and there is just something about that SBEII I love. It fits me great and points wonderfully.  I currently own a Benelli M1 Super 90(28") that I duck hunt with. It has never failed me in the duck blind.  I own several 870s and even have two over and under shotguns that are my sporting clay guns... 

I have heard horror stories about the SBEIIs POI and POA are off...  I talked to Rob Roberts several weeks ago about it and he said the older SBEs were bad about it but the new ones patterned pretty dang true.  That was good to hear but I wanted to here it from my band of brothers on OG.  Also- its toss up between a 24" barrel and a 26"... I hunted for 3 years with a 26" 870 and never had any problems with the length in the turkey woods.  My current 870 has a 23" barrel and man its handy in the woods.  BUT- I know I can achieve higher velocities and better patterns with the 26".  I know some of yall said it would be crazy to get a SBEII just to turkey hunt with.  I would use it mainly for turkey hunting, but yes- im sure it would get used in other places too....  Im just still trying to make my mind up... Is Benelli worth the Price? YES they are to the right person.  Im the type of guy(dont take this teh wrong way) but when it comes to grocery shopping- im getting walmart/kroger brand but when it comes to my hunting equip, i want the best! Theres just some things you can slouch on! Thanks guys

ducksnbucks

I have had problems with my SBEII POI and POA when using a jellyhead choke. I used a kicks choke before and it was fine. But when I switched to the jellyhead it shot about 6inches left at 30yrds. I took the jellyhead choke back and exchanged it in case it was defective but it still shot left. I finally had to buy a red dot.

Hognutz

There is no definitive answer to that. Even if they shoot to the POA with the factory chokes, that may all change when you screw in a turkey choke. Every gun of every species is not going to shoot where it is pointed. The good news is that you can put sights or a scope of any sort on the gun to make it right. By and large, I have found that most guns will not shoot to POA, for whatever reason. So I use red dot scopes on my turkey rigs, and it makes for a deadly combination. Everytime. Good luck with your decision. If you want an SBE ll, (they are outstading shotguns, by the way), absolutely, buy one, and deal with the sights after you get it. You may or may not need them, but you won't know till you get to the range. You can't look at them on the rack and tell!..
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

TheSportsman

Do you think overall, the 26" barrel will out pattern the 24"?

allaboutshooting

I have 24", 26" and 28" barrels for my SBE. The 26" patterns as well as the 28" and better than the 24". I see a difference in the evenness of the patterns and not just in the numbers. I don't think you'd notice the length difference in the turkey woods and in my experience at least, the 26" barrel is superior.

The SBE that I shoot is a very early model, 1991 and the first barrel has the low rib. That barrel shoots low, so I use a sight, currently a Truglo Pro Series, on it. The other barrels are later with the high rib and shoot to POA.

I understand that your question was about SBEII guns. When I purchased my Vinci, I let my SBEII go. I always preferred the feel of the SBE to the SBEII and since the barrel i.d.s are the same, and since I had 3 barrels for the SBE, it was a pretty easy decision.

My SBEII POA/POI were right on. If that gun feels good to you, I don't think you could go wrong with it. You might want to shoulder the new Vinci first however. I really like the way that gun feels, even if the appearance is a little "different".

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

Clay

Just bought a 26" SBE II after packing an SBE I for the past 10.  I was very concerned about POA as that was the primary reason I traded the old SBE I off.  I hate the idea of adding sights to a shotgun (personal preference) so the last thing I wanted was to get one that didn't shoot true.  I almost went with a different gun for that very reason, but I do love the feel of the benelli...  

I got the chance to take it out this past weekend and put it on paper using Federal HW #7s, H13 #7s, Nitro 517T #7s, H13 Mag Blend, and Nitro 517T Mag Blend (along with a few other loads as well).  I was shooting them all through a couple of Rob Roberts choke tubes (.640 and .655).  I'm pleased to report that mine shot dead on POA and while I haven't counted all the holes on all the papers yet, I've already got at least one that had +300 @ 40 yards (Hevishot #7s through the .655).  I'm pleased as punch.

As for the barrel length, I went with 26" after shooting a 24" for the past 10 years mainly for the additional velocity in the turkey woods, plus I'm assuming it will have a little better swing while shooting at flying critters to boot, and I really don't think the added inches will be a hinderence.

Borden811

I love my SBE II. It's dead on with the all the aftermarket chokes I have for it, including the jelly head, and the factory chokes . They come with a shim kit that may help you make small adjustments if yours is off a little bit. However, if it's off a lot, you'll need sights. I know I wouldn't give mine up for the world!

turkeytromp

Ok the sportsman,
Well here is my insight on the super black eagle II. When I purchased mine a 24" barrel last year it was shooting a pattern 3-4" to the left as it didn't matter which load I was shooting, I went to the sporting clay qualifiers and a guy was watching me pull shoulder and shoot and said my gun needs some adjustments, so I opted to let him custom fit the gun to my shooting by using the cast out shim that is included with the gun and jackpot! The gun shoots dead on a dime now. The 24" patterns just as well as my 26" SBEII in which I used for crow,duck and geese however I have found that my SBEII 24" likes the tighter .660 chokes and the 26" SBEII likes the .665 in turkey setup mode,the same falls in to modified and skeet chokes on both guns as well.
I have my SBEII 24" setup perfect spot on just for Turkey and coyote hunting only and the 26" for clay games and upland hunting.Now that I just purchased the Super Vinci 26" I am working on setting it up for strickly for upland hunting only,Thats just the way I am, I have several different guns for there specified duties because I like guns too and plus it makes it easier for me to grab the gun for the game I'm hunting without making all kinds of adjustments and such. Will the SBEII do all well heck YES! but I hunt alot and I feel I'm getting every bit my money worth from the benelli's they are top of the line for me so happiness is priceless when I'm hunting.

chrmayo

My SBE 1 with 24" barrel and rhino .660 shot waaaaaaay off. I picked up a FF2 for it but then decided i really needed an 870 Supermag so the FF2 is going on it and I guess I will use the SBE for everything else.
-MAYO-

mudhen

I'm with you Sport, the SBE does feel good in the field.

My SBE's were always pretty true to POI. 

My SBE II is just fine with certain chokes & loads.  Right now, it is just fine with 3" MB & a Jellyhead .660, 240 +- in the 12" at 40 yards with every shot.

But, the #1 thing for me with the SBE II & my BPS, is to KEEP MY HEAD DOWN  :)

If I pick my head up to admire my fine shooting, everything falls apart  :-[

I think the 26" & 28" SBE II will outpattern the 24".

Also, one thing most don't know about all Benellis is that their bore ID can be all over the place.  While spec is .723, I've had them all over the board.  My current SBE II is .719, mic'ed by two devices.  It took some time to find the right choke & load for it, but I have the working combo mentioned above.

mudhen
"Lighten' up Francis"  Sgt Hulka

PALongspur

I have a SBEII with 26" barrel and my POA/POI have been perfect with every shell and aftermarket choke (probably 5 or 6) that I've run through it.

Keep in mind if it isn't perfect out of the box these guns come with a complete shim kit to let you tune POI slightly.

Basser69

I put a set of fiber-optics on mine for the kids and have actually started liking them.

Mailman

I have sbe2 with ic and it shoots dead on. But I love the FF2 so it is equiped with it.
One Shot One Kill

whitelightning

I just patterned my SBEII yesterday with a HS Undertaker, a Pattern Master and a Jelly Head.  All POI were the same and they patterned in that order too.  Mine is a 26" barrel.

1iagobblergetter

My SBE2 's  poa/poi  changes from choke to choke. I tried about a half dozen before I found one that is on the money. Love the SBE2's other than that.Hope you dont need it,but good luck.