OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Turkey Tree Hopping

Started by 870BkWht, May 16, 2012, 07:59:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

870BkWht

This morning I went out to a property Ive been hunting and at dawn I heard a bird set up on him and worked him, but it didnt work out.  After trolling around trying to strike a bird, I decided I would hunt my way back to the truck.  When I was almost out of the woods, I heard a bird yelping coarsley.  I stopped and at first thought it might have been another hunter, but soon realized and saw it was a big bodied bird, but didnt see a beard.  The bird got within shooting range, then flew hopped almost verticle into a tree and started clucking loudly.  After a bout 8 to 10 seconds, he flew back down and resumed yelping coarsly.  I left the bird alone due to not really knowing the gender, and it left the area still clucking and yelping.  I never saw a beard, but I think it was a jake based on body size and the sound of the yelps.  Ive never witnessed a turkey hen or gobbler jump/hop/fly into a tree like that then fly right back down.  I was just curious if someone would shed some light on this for me or share their opinions. 

Thanks
Ben

guesswho

I'm guessing it heard you walking and wasn't alarmed.  It didn't know if you were friend or predator so it decided to gain a better vantage point while trying to get a response.

I've seen several birds do this and every time I've seen it I think my walking "slipping"  triggered this reaction.  
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

TauntoHawk

especially as things green up birds will "hop" up into a tree for a better view from time to time
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

jakebird

And here i thought this was gonna be another thread about whether it is ethical to blow a bird out of a tree if he "tree hopped" toward you at dawn, because you called to him.  :D
That ol' tom's already dead. He just don't know it yet .... The hard part is convincing him.

Are you REALLY working that gobbler, or is HE working YOU?