turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Benelli .665 Indian Creek 18 g/cc 9s...38 yds

Started by kevind, May 14, 2012, 06:53:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kevind

65% humidity about 70 degrees...at least 454 in 10" circle at 38 yds...my friend had to put a target together so some pellets probably went thru the cracks.  Some shot was touching one another in photo....wad was perfectly intact.  Thanks Hal!

captin_hook

Geez.... That is going to be brutal when it connects with a bird.

lowoctane

Wow! We can't shoot anything smaller than 7's in MO.
I'm Old School...
GOD, GUTS AND GUNS
MADE AMERICA GREAT,
LET'S KEEP ALL THREE!
NRA Endowment
NAHC Life

beagler

Never Misses

Gold Spur

Woo Pig Sooie!!!

MDSTRUTNRUT

I wonder what kind of energy does that load have at 40 yards?

kevind

All I can say on this board is that they will most all EXIT a turkey's head at 40....they are brutal.  I have seen it.  These are 18 g/cc 9s not lead 9s....they compare to a lead 4 but potentially out penetrate because no deformation ...the real advantage I see for this shot is helping kids with their .410 and .20 gauge setups

kevind

It's his 2.25 oz 9 load.  My philosophy with it is either it's a miss or a kill but hardly can be in between.  I agree with u that it's is super tight...but have had a bad experience guiding a friend at 36-39 yards this year with someone who didn't pattern their gun.  They had a great pattern with magnum blend didnt know their point of aim and shot low.  Has happened to me more than once and I want a "finish gun" for a situation like that on a crippled bird.  I hate seeing a crippled animal period and desire to never face that again.  I love to Bowhunt turkeys and love getting them in close....and figure with a setup like this... It's a miss or a kill and if Wiley coyote comes in or a hog... He's dead too with the right placement...this is a buddies setup and I am shooting a .670 with a killing 20 inch as well.  Pm me...I'd like to hear about how u like the 2 oz.

kevind

Well I am a newbie to using the 9s. ...so I am listening y'all ...I have a .680 mad max that I may try....

Spurcollecta

Quote from: kevind on May 17, 2012, 08:40:22 AM
Well I am a newbie to using the 9s. ...so I am listening y'all ...I have a .680 mad max that I may try....

How many shells did you test? I've shot that 2.25oz load from Hal and actually got higher #'s than that with one shell but most of the shots were in the 360 range. I'm not exactly sure why that one particular shell patterned as tight as it did because it was loaded just like the rest. I'd be surprised if all your shells patterned that tightly...

kevind

Well we threw 427, 454, and an upwards 450+ in three different chokes/guns.  I tried a .680 mad max in my BPS and it was the tightest yet and couldn't even count them properly.  :OGturkeyhead: Soooooo ....to open it up in my gun it will take .690 range hah

surehuntsalot

unbelievable pattern
no bird will live through that
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

SLAYER

Awesome pattern. I'd like to see what it would do at a taped 50. As we all know some shots are often farther than you think.  A shot over 40yds is common and it woul be good to know your patterns effectiveness out to 50.

BrowningGuy88

Quote from: SLAYER on June 05, 2012, 11:06:45 AM
Awesome pattern. I'd like to see what it would do at a taped 50. As we all know some shots are often farther than you think.  A shot over 40yds is common and it woul be good to know your patterns effectiveness out to 50.

Not on OG. Shannon doesn't allow talk of over 40 yards. This policy is explained in the THOU SHALL sticky.

vaturkey

Quote from: Daman on June 05, 2012, 12:06:25 PM
Quote from: SLAYER on June 05, 2012, 11:06:45 AM

Not on OG. Shannon doesn't allow talk of over 40 yards. This policy is explained in the THOU SHALL sticky.

Just shoot it at 50yds & call it 40 !  :icon_thumright:
Vaturkey