OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

preserving turkey legs

Started by 2much2loud, May 11, 2012, 04:22:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

2much2loud

I have always cut the spurs off and hung them on a piece of leather, I am doing a fan mount for a buddy and he wants the legs left on up to the knee. How do I perserve them? Thanks in advance
Greg

duxrus

The only way to keep them "plump" looking and not all shriveled up is to inject them with Master's Blend. It will take about 14cc's per leg by injecting each toe multiple places and along the leg itself. Once injected you need to post it in the desired position (I tape and pin my to a board). It will take about three weeks to completely dry. Once dry you need to give it a "wash" of thineeded out red/pink laquesr based paint to give it a natural color. If you don't it will be white within a year as the pigment fades away with time.

2much2loud

Thanks.... Where do I get the Master Blend? Greg

duxrus

Masters Blend in s two part solution that needs to be mixed and injected with 25-26 gauge  syringes. You can buy it from a few taxidermy supply catalogs. You can probably google it to find multiple suppliers. If I were someone who wasn't in the taxidermy business i would just call around to local taxidermists until I found one that would inject them for a small amount (say 10.00)..........this would save you the headache of having to buy both the solution and syringes to just do a pair or two. They don't sell MB in small amounts (you could probably do 20 sets of legs with the smallest available)

2much2loud