turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Who hunts with a SXS?

Started by Brian Stewart, May 09, 2012, 02:38:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian Stewart

After opening day hunting with my dad and killing a double with him. I've been thinking about getting me a sxs 12ga. He was using a LC Smith 10ga with 32" barrels both are full choke. It is a handful to carry but I love the nostalgia of using them. I've got my eye on a few of the older ones. I was just wondering if anyone else still uses them. Dad was shooting a 2 7/8" shell with a load of #6's and at 34 yards it worked great. 

But as for me and my family, we will serve the LORD.  Joshua 24:15

mudhen

I have been thinking about a SxS and/or O/U for many years.

I've tested a few, and just can't find anything where both barrels have the same POA vs. POI.

I'll keep working on it though!

mudhen
"Lighten' up Francis"  Sgt Hulka

allaboutshooting

I have a Fox SxS that I use on occasion. Many years ago I had a good bit of work done on it. The chambers were lengthened to 3", the barrels were shortened to about 19", it was threaded for chokes, I had the forcing cones lengthened and the barrels slightly backbored. I also had sling swivels installed.

It has double triggers so I can choose which barrel to fire and can, if I choose, have different loads or different chokes in each barrel. My original idea when I had this work done was to have a "short range" and a "long range" gun. I had it equipped that way for several years, with a modified choke in one barrel and a .650 in the other but after a while and never having to use it at ranges less than 20 yards, I put .650 chokes in both barrels and left it that way.

The POI for both barrels is as close as any double gun I've shot and it has been responsible for the death of a good many turkeys over the years.

It's a handy gun to carry in the woods but as the years have gone by, I've found other favorites and most of the time it stays home when I go hunting these days.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

Brian Stewart

Clark,
Do you have any pics of that gun. thanks Brian
But as for me and my family, we will serve the LORD.  Joshua 24:15

allaboutshooting

This is not a great one and I had some camo tape on the barrel and a Shooter's Friend on it but you can get an idea of how it looks.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

DocHolliday

I've used nothing but doubles for the last 10 yrs. Mostly 20's and 28's. I put rifle fiber optic sights on mine and POI/POA issues went away! (see "another 28 ga tungsten bird" in the handloader section for a pic of the gun)
Doc

jbrown

savduck

I've got an old fox with fixed full and mod. Got a case of 2 3/4 bismuth #5s to shoot out of it. Haven't used it yet, but I'm thinking about it.
Georgia Boy

gobblergls

I hunted an Ithaca NID 3.5" 10 gauge for years.  I grew tired of carrying it and sold it to a buddy.  Of all the guns I've had and sold, that is the one I wish I had back, but not for turkeys.  I found I could shoot a single barrel better than the double, especially with the addition of rifle sights,  and now, a red dot.  I