turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Hornady Turkey Loads

Started by 870BkWht, February 27, 2011, 09:10:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

870BkWht

Yesterday I was at Dicks Sporting Goods in Morgantown, WV and was browsing around their displays and noticed they were selling a 10rd box of Horndady Turkey Loads for 13.99 a box.  The load I saw was 3'' 1 1/2oz #5 nickel plated lead.  I do not have an opinion on their performance vs HTL loads, but I was more curious if anyone else had ever seen these or used them before.  I looked on Hornady's website and they are not even listed.  On the box it said "best if used with Improved Cyl or Mod choke".  Whats your 2cents on this one?

shootumindaface

GOLD HUNTER

hookedspur

CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

jtg88

They use a flight control wad thus the "mod or IC choke" statement.  I've only seen one person shoot them on this board and the patterns were less than stellar.  I was pretty disappointed in Hornady considering all their rifle ammo is top notch stuff.

shootumindaface

Quote from: jtg88 on February 27, 2011, 10:56:35 PM
They use a flight control wad thus the "mod or IC choke" statement.  I've only seen one person shoot them on this board and the patterns were less than stellar.  I was pretty disappointed in Hornady considering all their rifle ammo is top notch stuff.
Didn't he say he would trust it to 60

Odessa

I saw them at Dick's at Southpark in Charlotte NC a couple of weeks ago.  I had just received a new 2011 Hornady catalog and the turkey loads are not in the catalog - must be real new and unadvertised.
"I admire a good turkey hunter chiefly because such a man displays qualities that we usually associate with pioneer America-patience, enthusiasm, woodcraft, game sense, and a quiet hardihood undaunted by rain, by cold, by long tough miles, by disappointment."
Archibald Rutledge

870BkWht

Thanks for the heads up.  I will save my money.  Thought I might be on to something, since their centerfire ammo and components are good.

shootumindaface

Its a shame that Hornday did not go HTL.. They make a quality product and could have stepped in with the big boys

anthonyjhallen

Quote from: shootumindaface on February 28, 2011, 02:43:05 PM
Its a shame that Hornday did not go HTL.. They make a quality product and could have stepped in with the big boys

:icon_thumright:  And ditch the FCW