turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Winchester model 12

Started by Borden811, February 27, 2011, 07:08:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Borden811

Here's my project for this year. I've inherited my grandpa's winchester model 12.  I've decided it needs to taste victory in the turkey woods. The one small issue I've run across is, it's a 16 gauge. It has two barrels, a modified and a full. Interestingly enough the full barrel is an inch shorter at 25 inches. I just put it on the gun tonight. Now, my question. Where should I start with shells for a 16 gauge. I didn't do a search on the net yet, but does federal have a lead load with the flight control wad in 16 gauge? I know there is a hevi-shot load in the "classic doubles" offering, and I plan on picking up a box of those. Other than that, any suggestions would be much appreciated. Maybe fiocchi golden pheasant in the 6's?  I know I'm not going to have a 40 yd gun most likely, but I'd like to be as prepared as I can.

BigHooks

I have the same gun from my grandfather use the full, I would try the winchester no. 5 or 6s. I've killed alot of grouse with that combo... Nice gun.......

BOFF

Quote from: Borden811 on February 27, 2011, 07:08:09 PM
Here's my project for this year. I've inherited my grandpa's winchester model 12.  I've decided it needs to taste victory in the turkey woods. The one small issue I've run across is, it's a 16 gauge. It has two barrels, a modified and a full. Interestingly enough the full barrel is an inch shorter at 25 inches. I just put it on the gun tonight. Now, my question. Where should I start with shells for a 16 gauge. I didn't do a search on the net yet, but does federal have a lead load with the flight control wad in 16 gauge? I know there is a hevi-shot load in the "classic doubles" offering, and I plan on picking up a box of those. Other than that, any suggestions would be much appreciated. Maybe fiocchi golden pheasant in the 6's?  I know I'm not going to have a 40 yd gun most likely, but I'd like to be as prepared as I can.

I have a Winchester Model 12 in 16 gauge. It is 2 3/4", but is picky about the shells it will eject. The Remington Game load shells eject well. I have not shot anything other than #6 and #8 shot out of it at quail though. I'm just posting to inform of it possibly being a one shot gun with the improper shells. Hopefully it will only need to be one shot anyway.

God Bless,
David B.

VAHUNTER

Congrats on getting your Grandads gun. the model 12 is a fantastic gun. i have never shouldered one that was not a shooter.

a 16ga. is more than capable of getting the job done. just take the time to find the load and to leard at what distance you lose your killing pattern. personally i would search H13. i'm not sure if they offer there classic double for a 16ga. or not?? Winchester would be my second choice
Good things come to those who wait

BOFF

Borden811

The ony shells I've shot out of it were remington game loads. I took it out for grouse in the late season this year. Fired two shots from it, and killed two grouse. So far she's batting 1000, lol. I'm definately gonna try the hevi-13 shells(hopefully I don't experience any ejection issues). I think they will be my starting point, and if they don't pattern reasonbly well, then I'll look elsewhere. if they do good, then I won't have to try anything else, I have a fe federal Hi-Power shells in 6 shot i'm going to try, just to see how they do, since I already have them. I'll post some pics when I get around to shooting it, hopefully that will happen this weekend.

TScottW99

I shoot the Remington Express 1 1/8 ounce load of #6 in my ol' 16 gauge single shot.   Check out http://www.midwayusa.com for a good selection of sweet 16 ammo.
"What gets us jangly is the suddenness of everything. We hunt turkeys because we want to hear them gobble, watch them strut and all that, and we hunt them with shotguns because we want to be close to them when those things occur." - Jim Spencer