OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Pattern test

Started by gobblingghost, May 06, 2012, 05:14:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gobblingghost

A buddy of mine decided do some pattern testing since he is tagged out early in Ga. He was shooting a Mossberg 835 with 3.5" Hevi 13 # 7's. He shot two chokes a Jeb in a .650 and a Sumtoy in a .675. The first one is Sumtoy with 282 in 10" cir. The second is Jeb with 238 in 10" cir.

TnTurk

What distance was he shooting?

captin_hook

Grunt-N-Gobble

That can't be 40yds.   If it is........those are absolutly fantastic #'s

gobblingghost

What he told was a lazered 40 yrds. :fud:

fountain2

So ya buddy did a jebs vs Sumtoy test......but that can't be lead winchester hv patterns....definitely nit 40 either.   Maybe hevi 7s???  The numbers are too much for lead and bout too high for anything other than the 7s unless he's shooting handloads????

Btw...one of em is a 650 for the 835???? 

gobblingghost

I'll call on Monday and have him check the shells and make sure it right

learn2hide

I'm far from an expert but seems too good to be true for lead black box winchesters...imagine what hevi-13 would do, almost seems like he shot em both twice
shoot first, measure spurs later   
Don't miss "The Break" our new outdoor TV show featuring the www.HuntersLink.com team on the Hunt Channel Ch.266 on Dish Network.  All episodes can be seen on Hunt Channel on ROKU and streaming devices and on the website as well...Enjoy and thanks for the support!

R AJ

A comparison of a 65o and a 675 doesn't really relate to me as one choke can be too restrictive and give bad numbers. I like to see equal constrictions on the same gun of course to give an idea of choke performance.

gobblingghost

The difference constriction of the chokes is the recommended for the 835. I think the .650 is way to tight for a 835.

R AJ

I agree to some extent with what you are trying to say.
The Remmingtons I have shot generally like 660-665 but there is no argument that the TGSSX @ 643 throws some super patterns. However, the same choke in two different guns of the same make and barrel length can give entirely different patterns and this makes shotgun patterning less than an exact science.
Choke design itself is part of the equation along with shell components, along with loading consistency,distance,and all atmospheric conditions. Too much emphasis is being placed on numbers of shot and not enough on consistency, eveness of pattern, or average number based on X shots over a range of atmospheric conditions,etc. This is not a bad thing as we are able to get some shot results on Old Gobbler  from a broad spectrum if we report accurately. One should at least get a ball park idea of what to expect .

captin_hook

Phew, thanks for the edit. I was having trouble believing those were win. lead.

gobblingghost

I thought the numbers would be better. My benelli shoots just over 300 in a 10" cir. I was thinking the Mossberg would be better, but then again he might not have the best lot numbers.

surehuntsalot

dead birds no matter how many holes are in the paper
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

lowoctane

Quote from: surehuntsalot on May 14, 2012, 02:24:14 PM
dead birds no matter how many holes are in the paper

What he said... :funnyturkey:
I'm Old School...
GOD, GUTS AND GUNS
MADE AMERICA GREAT,
LET'S KEEP ALL THREE!
NRA Endowment